Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Counting Fish

3K views 62 replies 42 participants last post by  Be Jofus G 
#1 ·
I'm just curious...does anyone else find it strange or "bad karma" to the fish gods when you count the exact number of fish that you catch on a great day? After 8 or 10, I usually just say I caught a shitload.:beer1: On those epic days when I hook more than 20 or 30, I can't and refuse to keep track of how many I "BROUGHT TO HAND," how many were "LDR's-Long Distance Releases," etc. etc. What a crock:confused:

I knew with all the characters on here this topic might get some good, entertaining replies.

From a previous post:

"So here is my report:
Fished the CDA river and just killed them. Brought exactly 34 fish to hand and lost roughly 14 more."

#35 ·
I used to fish with a guy that counted every fish, every ldr, every strike. Not just his but mine and then if his count was higher, he would rub it in until we got home. It was a compulsion, that and his going on and on about his political beliefs that were exactly opposite of mine.
Note that I "used to fish" with him.

#38 ·
i have a simple little device to count fish. made from a pipe cleaner and some plastic beads. 9 green beads and 4 blue ones. greens are individual fish and the blue ones represent 10 fish. so 9 green ones and then a blue gets moved and the green ones all get moved back to the start, 9 more green and then another blue gets moved and so on till i get to 50 and then start all over.
sometimes i count and sometimes i don't. if the thing gets trashed or lost there's only a nickel's worth of materials in it anyway. fits around my wrist, clipped to the vest or clipped to the pontoon.

#40 ·
Mathematically, steelheaders are smarter:thumb: We can count in fractions, i.e. outings per fish. Attached is I think my third fish of the winter for twentysome outings, caught last weekend.

I do find myself counting steelhead. I lie to myself and find I inflate numbers including LDRs. When you go so many outings without a touch, you hope for a pluck, a pull, an LDR. Thinking back over the season, I find myself accidently counting LDRs when I had a fish on for more than 10sec. I am OK with that because if the tugs the drug, then the first run is nirvana. you don't need much more than that.

Joe

#43 ·
Ok, I get it. The only reason I posted numbers was because I had them. Wow the air up there where most of you have perched yourselves must be just wonderful but it think it is low on the O2 side. A poster in the specific thread asked for a report so I gave a detailed one. That Report will be my LAST one. Which is to bad cause I have access to lots of good people on a river at any given day and I myself am on a river tons. I was not bragging just stating facts. I feel some are jealous due to their own lack of fishing skills and felt it necessary to lash out. I will still be around but will be giving out no more reports, your loss!

#47 ·
My friends and I have a standing three dollar bet,

$1 for first fish
$1 for biggest fish
$1 for most fish

So counting at least to three seems to work, unless of course you get the pig on the first cast, and tell em they are walkin, LOL.....

The guy with the most cash buys the beer, so I think it works out in the wash LOL.

Earl

#53 ·
I repeat that I respectfully and purposefully did not include the ID of "fish for brains" on the original post...I was just looking for some funny responses. I'm certain had he not brought attention to himself, he would remain anonymous. But now, he's let everyone exactly what he's all about. My intention was just to get some funny, creative responses and he has certainly helped the cause. Keep them coming....MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

#62 ·
Interesting thread. Too bad that some took it too seriously. There is a friend of a friend from back east that comes out to YNP for a few weeks every summer. This guy is beyond anal when it comes to counting every single fish. The funny thing is I think he is totally oblivious to how easy Cutts are to catch.

A few years ago I fished with him for the last time. Against my better judgement I took him to one of our small mountain streams. He wanted 50 fish, this is no big deal here. This guy would not move on until he caught just about every damn fish in a pool or run. By the time he was over 40, I was updated after every couple fish, I had had enough. I snuck up to a new pool and threw rocks in it from top to bottom, left to right.

I sat on a rock smoking a cigar and told this guy that there were fish rising throughout the pool. Well, after many fishless casts he was beyond frustrated. I sat there trying not to laugh. When I went to the pool just above him and stuck a few fish he threw his hands up and stumbled back to the car all pissed off that he was short of his 50 fish. Instead of just enjoying being in a beautiful setting and catching a few fish he let being 4 fish shy ruin his entire day. Like someone else said, I used to fish with this guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.