Courtesy for a Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by dryflylarry, Mar 15, 2009.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Today marks the 29th day since the fly swap I entered was suppose to end....:beathead:

2. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Home Page:
    The last swap I hosted, I waited longer than I should have for "the late persons" flies. I will say sorry to those who waited so long.

I will host swaps in the future when I have time. I like to see what others tie.

dryflylarry- have you contacted the swap host? If so what was their excuse? Maybe some humiliation will clean up their act. I really do not think it is the post office holding things up.

Clint

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

:rofl: Larry :rofl: I just fell out of my chair and now I'm :rofl:
    All this time I thought that you were just being a gentleman and reminding all of us that join or those that host swaps to maintain a professionalism and timliness in the swaps. This was received as a very admirable post and I thought it was one that many needed to be reminded of.

:rofl: Now I'm upside down and beside myself :rofl: realizing that you posted this because you are PISSED OFF! :beathead:

Thanks for the post, sorry for your frustration. Now I'm gonna have to seek out that swap.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Mumbles it is now 30 days since the swap ended!!! No Flies Received!! Can you imagine?!
    SLACKER---SLACKER---SLACKER. There is just no excuse.

5. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

i can imagine. I got flies from the winter trout swap about 6 weeks after they "were sent".

6. Ed Call

Larry, I can't really imagine. Generally I send my files in way before the deadline and have to refer back to seeing when it was. I'm often thinking where the hell are those flies but the deadline has not even arrived. My last two swaps I've mellowed out and not put myself into that situation. Your situation is much different though.

Want to tie some Caddis flies? There is still room in another swap...my fly box sure could use a dryflylarry special or two! I'm excited to be tying some up because I've been working on mostly huge beefy patterns.

7. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, too bad the early spring midge swap wasn't on time... yesterday was all about the chronies on a desert lake (Kent, Mike, Tim and I all with sore arms and sunburns today). I had plenty of good stuff in my box, but it would have been fun to try out some others' ties. No big though, I'll keep joining them even though in my experience they run late.

8. Ed Call

This post made me so self conscious because I just finished tying for a streamer swap and have entered a caddis swap. I went down and tried tying up a few for the caddis swap. Tough switching from #4 down to #14 and the first few looked rough...so they are in my box. I think I might have done okay. I'll post a demo photo in the swap and see if I should tie up more or if they pros there think I'm in over my head. I cussed a lot last night.

9. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

Hey Mumbles looking at your avatar either you have cancer or joined a cult! Hopefully it is just a cult. Ya Know Hari Krishna fly casters

10. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Repeat after me, Ed, Om Mani Padme Fish, Om Mani Padme Fish... repeat ad-infinitum. You won't catch any fish this way, unless you can work that into the casting rhythm.

11. Ed Call

I'm thinking of joining a kitchen table watercraft commune...na, my fat ass would sink that fine craft. I'm good at tables when fliped over properly and fully outfitted with vittles.

12. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Why dont we start a list of people not to be trusted?. Give everyone a heads up on who is trouble and to avoid when trying to organise a swap.

13. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Hope my name does not get on the list.... I think my color is still green in reference to the Patriot Act and the color attatched to your name based upon your previous travels, legal issues, and place of birth. :D:D

14. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

I dont do fly swaps anymore because there are a lot of people that cant tie worth a damn and I feel it is a waste to tie 12 good flies of my own, to get 11 back of which 6 or 7 might have any quality.
    They are fun to see new patterns abd others good work, but for me it isnt worth it any more.

on the other site i was on people would say... advanced, competent or beginner... maybe listing swaps like that would help here as well.

15. Ed Call

John, I thought pretty flies only caught fishermen...that would be a waste of time, I want to catch fish.

I think the level of talent idea is a strong one. I certainly would consider myself a beinner working toward completent. As such I really appreciate hearing feedback from guys that have fished my flies in successful line tightening adventures.

Ed