Crappy fishermen

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by KerryS, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

I've caught quite a few hand twisting small buggers(as small as size 14) near shore and structure at dusk in lakes with brush and/or lilly pads.

Randy

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    I think that it is entrirely possible that Old Man Jim is one of the Crappiest fisherman on this forum! :eek:

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

BT:

Jim is what first came to my mind when I read the subject.....

MB

4. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Great minds think alike.

But seriously folks...I love those little fish on a light rod. And boy can they fight!!!.

5. Swandazi

Swandazi Kevin

In montana or idaho (i cant remember) i fished with a dry fly that imatated a stone fly exept i fished it like a wet fly and put weights on my leader, and i caught tons of crappie....

6. Don Stracener

Don Stracener New Member

Crappie on the fly.

Have real good luck getting limits with weighted minnow imitations.

Colors

Yellow
    White
    Black
    Chartreuse
    Pink

Going to try Olive this season.

Some days they would only hit one or two colors, I would have them all.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Bob, are you trying to hijack my thread?

Great stuff so far guys. Keep it coming. I didn't know there were this many crappy fishermen on this board.:p

8. BrianC

BrianC Member

I've caught bass, bluegill, rainbow trout and perch in Alkali, but never a crappie. Fished it a dozen times or so over the last six or seven years. I understand they are in there, but they have eluded me.

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Over here on the Dry Side the Pend Oreille River holds tremendous populations of crappie and most die of old age. I have caught them up to about 16'' but the real veterans could be even larger. It seems they are completely underfished as are most fish in the river given the sparse population in these parts. Locals seem to target them with bobbers the size of 150 watt light bulbs and night crawlers that could challenge a garter snake for turf supremecy. But a few use proper crappie jigs and do quite well.

Best fly fishing is at dusk with a lightly weighted bugger or streamer fished on an intermediate line just below the surface. Black with chartreuse tail is my favorite but crappies are very color specific and sometimes will only take a certain color. Having a good selection of colors is essential because a fly that is dynamite one day may not get a look the next.

Spin fishing with ultralight equipment can actually help a beginning fly fisherman to learn more about crappie and shorten the learning curve. A true ultralight rod and reel spooled with 2# test Stren Hi Vis Gold and a very light tippet of flourocarbon will cast a small jig a considerable distance. The Stren acts as a strike indicator in low light and by changing the retrieve and sink rates of the jig you will quickly learn at what point the crappies tend to pick up the jig. Duplicate the motion with your fly line and you will be in business. Decades of experience has shown me that they most often take the fly or the jig on the drop. As you pull the fly along they will follow just behind and then the second it stops and starts to drop they flare their gills and suck it in. That is one reason they seem like such light biters as they tend to take the bait when the retreive is paused.

Properly handled and prepared only walleye can compare to them as table fare-deserving of your finest fruity white wine or pilsner. Ive

10. hedburner

hedburner Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Clear lake up in Skagit has a lot of em'. Never caught any big ones but lots around 6-7 inches. Most hang out around the pads and there's always a bunch around those pilings from the old mill. Sunday lake has bigger ones but sometimes are harder to find. Lake Ketchum use to have a lot of nice ones, but it seems that after they rodeo'd the lake to kill the duck weed (the rodeo killed every friggin' water plant in the lake) it tanked. Big lake is good, but it's nice to have a boat there. Beaver lake is good too, but hit it early. The lake is pretty shallow and the weeds will grow up to the top by June.

11. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I have caught thousands on a fly rod. That crappie candy fly looks like a real winner. White Wooley Buggers work great!, White streamer like flies with yellow, chartruse or pink work very well. When you find a school of crappie they'll usually hit anything that looks like minnow. I usually use size 8 or 6 hooks. Finding them is usually the hardest thing. Once found they are easy to catch. Good eating. Filet them out and batter them and deep fry them, doesn't get much better than that.

Ive, there are several really great crappie holes on the Pend Oreille. I'm sure I've got thousands out of the Pend Oreille over the years we lived in Newport. Under fished is an understatement. In the Spring around the bass spawning beds you can catch both crappie and Large Mouths. We caught our limit of Large Mouths during the spawn once and the smallest weighted about 5 lbs. Crappie, Blue Gill and Walleye best eating freshwater fish.

K.

12. pearguy

pearguy Member

I have found crappie to hit just about anything, particularly the buggers (red also works). I have also found them to like a parachute adams and a royal wulff, but they tend to slap the dries a good deal of the time.

certainly fun to go for with the kids

13. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

If any of you ever get a load of fresh crappie fillets you want to get rid of, I will graciously take them off your hands for you. :thumb:

I also bet I can outfish any of you at your secret crappie spots. you take me to your hotspot and if I lose, I'll give you $5 CASH.

:rofl:

14. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Helloooo-Mingo-it's 2006! :rolleyes: A simple walk and wade day trip on Crab Creek is going for $350. Expect to put up at least $250 for your Crappie Challenge!:D $5.00-what is that, a down payment on a cup of yuppie coffee? part of a gallon of gas?

Don't try two trick us man, we is two smart!:) Ive

15. toddsbernina

toddsbernina New Member

:) In this crappie challenge will you be wearing one of your bikinis or do you just wear those in your avatar pics to encourage us to read your posts? :)