Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Crickets....

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  FinLuver 
#1 ·
Anyone else notice how this forum goes dormant during the winter?:eek:

#5 ·
Hi Gat,
We're as dormant as the emerging insects. I'm not excited about identifying midges, about the only emerging aquatic insect one is likely to see in lakes or rivers at present. Yeah, I know that there should be some winter stones around.... In two weeks, a month at most, the Skwalas will migrate into the shallows in preparation for their shore-side emergence. Then the BWO, PMDs, and March Browns will follow. Then the Mother's Day caddis hatch and the lake hatches. Spring follows winter.
Steve

#6 ·
I have never caught a fish on a cricket nor have I seen a pattern for them - not that I ever looked actually. Crickets and grasshoppers are dormant during the winter. Have not seen any ants around lately either... Lots of common house flies outside in the sun. Is there a pattern for them and do they work?

I did do 'okay' this morning on damsel and dragonfly nymphs - they needed to be smaller than what I fish normally tho.

#17 · (Edited)
The short-wing or "summer" stone on the Yakima is a summer-fall hatch. This is the time of the year when the skwalas and early brown/black stones begin to move around. They are typically smaller and "flatter" then summer stones. Leuctridae? Both can be matched in this phase with olive/brown chenille "Pat's Stone" patterns, BH Prince, the "Girdle Bug" or others.

This particular nymph was crawling around in the snow near a downed log, about 10 yards from water, 1-2 pm, water 37-38 degrees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.