Well, I had a choice. I could go back to Olalla or drive another hour and fish Cleawox near Florance (in Oregon). Rocky was going with me this time and he doesn't fish as much as he once did so he didn't care where we went... he just wanted to go fishing. I opted for Olalla because it is much closer to home and I had a problem with the starting system of the ol' F150 that was fixed last week but when it comes to an old truck, I'm a bit paranoid about the thing not starting when I'm done fishing. The ODF&W plant the devil out of the coastal lakes during the Spring. Once they stop planting the lakes, things taper off considerably. The Power Bait folks hit the lakes hard so the planters don't last long. Olalla was planted a number of weeks ago so I brought my fish/depth finder to make sure there were actually trout remaining in the lake. There were. Catching them was a different story. The weather has been nice for a week so I figured the lake would have warmed up so the trout would be holding closer to the surface. Nope. They were still hugging the bottom. Olalla is a reservoir and quite deep. The trout don't move far from where they were planted and that just happens to be in the deepest part of the lake: 50-60 feet. Midges were hatching but they were tiny guys and no fish were rising. I could have tried the bobber system but a 50 foot leader wasn't something I wanted to try and cast. So I opted for a super fast sinking line to get somewhere close to where the trout were holding. I also opted to try one of my experimental patterns I tied specifically for Olalla. Within five minutes of launching, I caught a trout. Hey, I thought, this is going to be a good day. The fish finder was marking a decent number of fish and I caught one right off the bat. I hooked another one but lost it. Rock finally showed up and was trying patterns that normally work at the lake. We finned around and I continued to mark fish... hugging the bottom. I caught another one. Then someone must have rang a bell. I had a number of hits but nothing stuck. Hours passed. I gave one of the experimental patterns to Rocky for him to try. He didn't even get a hit... for the entire trip. So that was it. The bank anglers disappeared. The boat folks loaded up and left the lake. I stopped getting hits. I tried different flies. Zippo. I tried smoking a different brand of cigar... that didn't help. Guess we should have gone to Cleawox. There was no problem starting the ol' F150. The only good thing that came from the trip was that the weather wise nice and the wind was minimal.... and my experimental pattern worked -- at least for awhile. However, I now have high hopes for the experimental pattern and will try it again at other stillwaters. The pattern is a size 10 WB tied with a light olive tail and body with a black hackle and gold bead head. This is the first time I tried using a black hackle with an olive pattern but I figured black and olive have worked in the past in stillwaters so I tied the pattern with a little different approach. Today I'm tying soft hackles with a light olive body and a black hackle collar. In this flyfishing game, sometimes you win, sometimes the trout win. Yesterday, the trout won.