Cutthroat advice

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Marauder651, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Marauder651

Marauder651 New Member

I am going to be in Seattle for a few days next week and would like to try fishing for cutts from the beach. I'm a reformed bait chucker and used to fish around Bainbridge Island with Kastmasters and buzz bombs but that was a long time ago. I have a few general questions I'm sure you guys can help me with.
    Can I get away with a 5 wt or should I bring a 6? I want to do some stream fishing as well and so if I can get away with just bringing a 5 that would be great.
    Any areas I should focus on? I'd like to stay between Tacoma and Everett if possible.
    What flies/sizes? I'm assuming mostly streamers but do they favor a particular local favorite?
    I also need a shop to stop by while I'm there for anything I forgot.
    Thanks

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Stream fishing will be pretty limitted. There are a few options, but between rain\snow melt and being 'out of season' on many - it will be tough. There are some lakes open now that are fishing OK.

So I'd stick with the 6wt and plan on hitting the beaches hard. Look through this Salt Water section for tons of info on cutties from the beach...

3. crazysalmon

crazysalmon New Member

I am new to fly fishing thing, and have found my local fly shop to be the best place for all info. I live up north in the Bellingham area or I would give you some shops to stop in and drop a couple of bucks for some good advice. Everyone is a little timid about naming areas online. Me include the web is vast. I'm sure if you search "Seattle beaches" or "Seattle SRC" you will find all the info you need as well. Good Luck

4. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

If you are like me, it won't matter if you fish a 2 or 10 weight. I dont catch anything anyway! I honestly can't tell the difference between two rods only one step away from each other. Thats why I believe in getting rods either odd or even. (I like even...) I think either would work.

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Stop by the Fishing Department at Orvis in Bellevue. Our staff is well-versed in coastal cutthroat fishing and we carry a good selection of flies tied just for this unique sport. Either a 5 or 6-weight will work for you with the 6 being a bit better in case it gets windy, which it can in the spring all through Puget Sound. A floating line will be just fine for a short visit.
    Puget Sound from the north tip of Vashon Island to Olympia is your best bet this time of year with some good cutthroat still hanging around estuaries to clean up on any remaining baby chum salmon that are heading for the Pacific. Cutthroat in the salt are usually on the move, so if one spot doesn't work, move to the next one. Try Harper, Ollala and Purdy, which are easy to locate, unless you can get into the store where we'll point out some spots on our Gazetteer. In any event, debarb those hooks.
    Good Luck,
    Les Johnson

6. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Home Page:
    While I would say that a 6 wt is better, a 5 will definetly suffice, as I used one for quite some time with no problems other than almost getting spooled by an angry Chinook once....

For flies I always find it had to be a good size 8 marabou clouser minnow in tan /white or brown/ white. There are a lot of good beaches down by Tacoma, and you may want to visit the Morning Hatch (Tacoma) of Puget Sound Fly Co (Kent) for some extra advise.

7. Marauder651

Marauder651 New Member

Thanks guys, I was actually thinking S Sound but don't really know where there is beach access except Point Defiance and from what I can remember it doesn't seem rocky enough. Any other parks down that way with good beaches?

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

The guys at Puget Sound Fly co have that area dialed. Stop by, give them a call - they'll hook you up...