Cutthroat Poachers!!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Saltman, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jerry White

Jerry White Active Member

Aw come on Mumbles... I loved that story! Those of us who fight for native trout appreciate someone who is willing to really throw down for native trout!

Also the signs are a great idea... we have signs on the Spokane River and WDFW tell us that (for those poachers that don't want to actually heed the advice on the sign) the signs really help in providing for the successful prosecution of poachers... a poacher cannot play the ignorance card in front of a judge nearly as easily when a warden can report a sign was just up the bank. It makes a difference... I hope you get'em.

2. Scott Orness

Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

5 state enforcement dudes on a 24 foot kick a$$ inflatable with 3 brand new 250HP on the back gave me a ticket for not writing down my 3 crab right away last week. I thought we were in a recession? It must cost the state serious $ to have all 5 of them on one REALLY nice boat sucking up a BIG # of gallons of gas per hour. I learned my lesson with the ticket, but it sure would be nice to see those guys spread out and protecting the public's resources better. All it would take is one of these guys at Lions.

3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

That sounds like a crock of poop! I mean, it sucks.

4. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

We cant be so adamant about following the rules if we don't do so ourselves. That fancy state boat wouldn't have bothered you, had you done what you were supposed too :X
    "right away" is very relative

5. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Home Page:
    It is amazing that when it comes to Shrimp, Salmon and Crab the WDFW has serious resourses (airplanes, boats, manpower, etc) to enforce. Trout, Sea Run or otherwise seem to be very low on the enforcement priority list.......

6. bigman

bigman New Member

Very easy response to that, shrimp, salmon and crab are all on the decline, hence the strict seasons. Trout aren’t really on the decline. What do you think is more important, a WDFW officer working a local lake that gets stocked with trout or them working a river that is currently open for salmon and also has ESA listed salmon running through it? It seems like everyone wants WDFW to make their favorite season to be a priority. Hunters want more officers working in the woods, fly fishermen want them on the fly lakes and crabbers want them out on the water. They have to prioritize their work to protect the resource, and quite frankly a trout that is apart of a healthy population will not get much attention when crab, shrimp, and salmon seasons are going on.

7. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

actually the boat motors companies are producing now are very fuel efficient. WDFW is either using the evinrude etecs or mercury 4 strokes.... crabbing just opened and they know more people will be out crabbing then at lions park.

8. bigman

bigman New Member

WDFW also gets a lot of their gear and boats by grants or the fed's buy them for the state to use. If I remember correctly NOAA/NMFS has bought three boats for them as well as a couple vehicles. WDFW Enforcement really does a lot with a little, they are constantly applying for grants that would allow them to buy equipment, thus saving the state money. You also need to remember that some of those offices may have been in training, for the first couple months a new officer basically works with an experienced officer.

9. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Home Page:
    Bigman... Last I checked Sea Run Cutthroat were also on the protected list. They deserve just as much respect (maybe more) than hatchery salmon. Perhaps it is that they are not on the comercial harvest list????

10. bigman

bigman New Member

I don't know where you got your info about being protected. Here are the anadromous fish that are protected under ESA:
    http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/fish/
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/management/esa/federally_listed_esa_fish.pdf

You also need to remember that WDFW is mandated to work X amount of hours for certain species that are protected under ESA or are considered federal fisheries. If they don't meet their hours requirement they lose the funding from the feds, so somtimes things that aren't "required" don't go checked/enforced. An interesting read on WDFW Enforcement is the staffing report that an independent agency put out in 2008. It has officer comments in it and a lot of them say that they want to enforce certain seasons which they believe are important but can't because of external requirements such as the requirement by NOAA/NMFS to work a certain amount of hours for federal fisheries, as well as sanitary shellfish enforcement requirements. So often times those seasons they want to work go unchecked, because they are basically forced to work the other seasons. If the staffing would improve then officers could work a more variety of the seasons...

11. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

I see "Cutthroat Trout (Coastal)" listed on that wdfw website you posted bigman...

12. bigman

bigman New Member

And if you continue to read you will see that it says protection "Not Warranted". Just like where it says Puget Sound Chum protection is not warranted. You need to read the entire row.....

13. bigman

bigman New Member

To add to the above post. Under the ESA there are several levels:

Not Warranted: No protection, the specie is found to be healthy
    Species of Concern: Currently no protection, however they need to keep on eye on them
    Candidate Species: These are species that are currently under review for ESA protection
    Threatened: Low numbers of specie
    Endangered: Simply means the specie number is so low that it is near extinction

As you see on the WDFW report ALL sea run cutthroat are listed as "Not Warranted" basically means no protection for this specie, and the population is found to be healthy

14. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Home Page:
    Once again, though not ESA protected, the Coastal Cutthroat is protected as a "catch and release only" species in the salt water by the WDFW(thanks to the efforts of many on this board). Maybe if the WDFW/Feds would look at protecting "all" wild fish, not just ones with a commercial harvest interest, Northwest fisheries would be much healthier.

15. bigman

bigman New Member

I am not going to argue with that. However as far as WDFW enforcement priorities go ESA fish/wildlife is at the top of the list so if a season/specie is not ESA protected then the enforcement/protection of that season will be minimal compared to a season that does have ESA/federal regulations. For example, Smelt were listed as an ESA Threatened specie this year, you should expect more WDFW Officers as well as NOAA/NMFS Special Agents patrolling the season next year, because the WDFW will have a requirement from NOAA/NMFS to work a certain amount of hours for Smelt protection