Dahl Porpoises Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Sep 19, 2005.

1. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Sounds exciting, it's just not very likely. If you ever get a chance to fish for yellowfin tuna under a porpoise school, you'll probably notice how smart they are. You don't have to worry about them attacking lures or flies, even when you're fishing right on top of them.

2. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

No, I don't imagine they would chase a fly, but I still think the adrenaline rush you would get watching something that big come after your fly that fast... But then again, the biggest thing I've caught is a 5-6 lb pink and I didn't see anything before it hit...

3. Skeena88

Skeena88 Member

I vaguely recall that "blackfish" are either pilot whales or pseudo-orca, both of which are quite a bit larger than porpoises. I can recognize greys, orca and humpbacks, beyond that they are all just big sea mammals that make your day when you bump into them. See the description about pilot whales in this site. http://www.rockisland.com/~orcasurv/bcruisgd.htm

4. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Stonefish,
    My book lists them as Dall's Porpose. It doesn't show alternative spellings. I've seen large schools of Dall's around Langara Island in the Queen Charlotte Islands and they are impressive with their speed, roostertail and apparent glee in tossing horse herring and pilchards into they air as they rake through the panicky baitfish. If you are really interested in porposes, dolphins and whales, I cannot recommend the book I listed above too highly. It has great ID pages and just enough data to make for easy reading. Regardless of how easy it is to get information from the internet, in my view there is no substitution for kicking back with a touch of single malt Scotch, one of my books and reading about a subject. Perhaps it is a preference brought on by my advancing years.
    My reference does not however say anything about casting a fly to one. If anyone is truly looking for a real (and legal) rush I suggest sigining up for a trip to Loreto, Baja California Sur, Mexico and try for dorado, sailfish, marlin and skipjacks. A week of that fishing will give anyone all the "rush" they can handle on a 12-weight.

Good Fishing,
    Les

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Les,
    Thanks for the info. I don't think anyone would really consider targeting porpoises with a fly. At least I hope not. I know my comments were made tongue in cheek about the billfish fly. ;)
    You are correct about Baja. I'm heading there next month with 12's and 10's to get my workout on Skippies, YFT, Dorado, Sierra etc. My last trip I had great topwater action with your buddy Leland's Beach Popper.
    Thanks again,
    Brian

6. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    there is a reason you have never heard of any dolphin species being caught on sport fishing gear, they are much to smart and hunt with other methods than fish do. I have heard of one bottlenose dolphin being caught by a tuna jig, but the mamal was very sick and close to death when it was caught, probably trying to eat whatever it could.