Dan Craft Sig V 9' 5 weight question?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by bengal31, Feb 6, 2008.

1. bengal31

bengal31 New Member

I'm getting ready to build up this rod. This will be my second Dan Craft Blank and so far I'm nothing but impressed. My quetion is has anybody tried a 4 weight line on this rod? I'm curious if it would still load it and give it a bit more speed for fast casing strokes (impatience)?
    Let me know if you've tried anything,
    Thanks,
    Tim

2. Fly Or Die

Fly Or Die The King

Home Page:
    I cast a 4 weight WF line with my 8’6 3 weight SIG V. One thing about Dan’s blanks is they almost always feel better with a line size up. I have 2 SIG V’s 1 SIG 3 and 1 FT and that seems to be what I’ve experienced.

3. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

That's my experience, at least with the FT. Dan's rods are pretty stiff. I was talking with some guys on the rodbuilder forum and they had numbers on the smaller fts... the 3 and 4 weights are more like 4 and 5 (or 5 and 6). Great rods though! I like my 10' 8wt.

4. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Home Page:
    ya you dont want to down size on your line with Dan Craft. Bump it up 1, ive even gone up 2 line wt's in the past.

5. bengal31

bengal31 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it. The new rod sure is going to be nice, its got a great feel for a blank.