Dash Point Closure on 8/14

DennisE

Topwater and tying.
For those that might care:

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fecal Matters: Beach closed at Dash Point Park in Tacoma, WA

BEACH Program Update

On August 14, 2013, the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department issued a beach closure at Dash Point Park in Tacoma, WA. The closure was issued due to high fecal bacteria counts in the water. The public is warned not to make contact with the water until further notice.

The closure will remain in place until follow up sampling indicates the threat is gone.

Dash Point Park is a Metro Parks Tacoma facility west of the Pierce-King County line, it is a different site than Dash Point State Park in King County.

Contact with fecal contaminated waters can result in gastroenteritis, skin rashes, upper respiratory infections and other illnesses. Children and the elderly may be more vulnerable to waterborne illnesses.

Stay updated about water quality at your beaches by keeping up with us on our blog Fecal Matters, on Facebook, or join our listserv.

Christopher Clinton is the interim BEACH Program Manager and is available at [email protected] for questions.

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
Yum yum, I bet there's a few of you with some fresh pinks in your smoker as we speak. Never thought I'd say this but I'm glad I got skunked Sunday.

jwg

The article in The News Tribune does not appear to preclude fishing in waders:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/08/14/2731278/dash-point-park-beach-closes-due.html

here is part of what it says:

"Any activities that would expose bare skin to the water, or cause the water to be ingested, should be avoided, the department said.
As long as fishermen wear waders and carefully wash and cook their catch, fishing at the park is still safe.
Health officials took additional samples Wednesday to investigate further.
The beach will stay closed until testing shows a safe bacteria level."

yellowlab

The article in The News Tribune does appear to preclude fishing in waders:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/08/14/2731278/dash-point-park-beach-closes-due.html

"Any activities that would expose bare skin to the water, or cause the water to be ingested, should be avoided, the department said.
As long as fishermen wear waders and carefully wash and cook their catch, fishing at the park is still safe.
The article in The News Tribune does appear to preclude fishing in waders:

I wouldn't be the first one to shake your hand and congratulate your catch or give you a high five... Maybe NW fly fisherman will do a report on Brownlining for Pinks.

Here is a key bit of information that we should not overlook

Dash Point Park is a Metro Parks Tacoma facility west of the Pierce-King County line, it is a different site than Dash Point State Park in King County.