DASH POINT WFF GATHERING 8/8

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Sean Beauchamp, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

You'd better check. I think that Dash Pt is a "reservation" park and it's done on-line only.

2. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

I have a 6wt w/an intermediate sinker someone can borrow if they speak up for it. I'm not packing it around for funsies though. :thumb:

See you dickheads Saturday am :beer2:

3. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Well since my Tuna trip for this weekend was cancled and resceduled. It seems that every one was more into chasing Pinks then Tuna on a fly rod. Guess Amie and I will be somewhere down that way with the kayaks. Might see some of you down that way though we might hit more then one beach looking for the schools and plan to paddle away from the worse of the crowds.
    If those in boats or beach see two Kayaks fishing with one guy and one girl that would be us most likely.
    Thought about taking the boat out but for pinks but it is easier to target them without the big boat and having to anchor. We will save the boat gas for Silvers.

4. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

I went to DP yesterday morning just to check it out before the Saturday get-together. What a Cluster F..K!! The dock wasn’t as bad as I expected – except for the yelling & hollering by a couple of really BIG, swaggering bully types. The beach had about 37 fishermen 6-10 feet apart….all gear chuckers & buzz bombers except for 3-4 fly fishermen waaay down at the north end (in the private property area). I didn’t see any of the fly fishers catch any but spoke with one on his way back to his rig….said he had one on but lost it.

Witnessed a lot of fish mishandling, dragging them through the sand, kicking them up further on the beach, NOT bonking them, just leaving ‘em to suffocate in the sand, not bleeding or gutting. Only saw two coolers on the whole beach and several fish caught in the hour and a half I was there – just watching. I was pretty disgusted by the whole scene …..maybe I’m just getting too old & cranky…or maybe I’m just not the totally dedicated, fanatical practitioner of the “Black Art of Fly Fishing” to endure the absurdity of “Combat fishing” on any scale anymore. Now if it was real combat fishing that might be different…but then I’m too old for that too…sighhhh!!!

I did meet one really nice fella, Steve Saville and we chatted and watched the carnage for awhile….”carnage” is a bit strong as I saw only about 12 fish brought to hand (beach) in that time and maybe two of them were handled in what I consider to be an appropriate and humane manner (I don’t want to start another pointless argument about whether fish & animals feel pain….!!)…please note the “what I consider” portion of the foregoing.

As much as I was looking forward to meeting, handshaking and attaching faces to names of all the fascinating attendees at the “gathering” this Saturday, I’ve decided not to participate….just ain’t my style! Since none of you know me (except Steve) I know I’ll not be missed….haha!

Avoir & tight lines to all, :thumb:

Jc:)
    (also posted in another thread)

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    i'll be there at first light offering a free clinic on how to throw the perfect tailing loop.

i won't be hard to pick out

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    jc did i meet you yesterday? i had a conversation with a really nice guy in the parking lot, and did indeed lose a few that day.

got some landed today though

7. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

congrats evan! nice fish. did you catch those at dash point? maybe we should just cast like freaks first starting with yarn and hitting the fisherman. then say we were just practising and then put on flies and be like now that im warmed up.... i could use flies! then they will back up.

arthur

8. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

I don't think so, Evan...the only fly fisherman I spoke to (except for Steve S.) was when he (you?) was walking back to the parking lot - I was sitting on the log in front of the gravelled (private?) parking area. I asked if he caught anything and he said he had one (some?) on - he wasn't carrying any fish! Could've been you I suppose but if so it was an extremely short conversation!! :D

Glad you had better luck today!

Jc:)

9. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

I'll be there.

Yes DP is a zoo these days, but hey it's really fun to catch pinks.

I just move way down beach and have a great time.

I still think that a fly is more effective than a buzz bomb. I know that the gear guys catch 90% of the fish, but I think that's because they are 95% of the guys fishing.

10. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

JCNEWBIE, - I think that was me. I caught one Wednesday AM, and I remember that somebody sitting on the logs asked me about it. Nice fish, fun to play, beautiful to see, and then safely released.

11. avlnchfan

avlnchfan PhotoFisher

Home Page:
    I'll be out on the bike that day riding down the 101 but may stop in on my way back towards Auburn in the afternoon.

12. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Might be too late now, I was initially debating between camping and staying with friends, but it looks like camping is a better bet... Does anyone have a campsite for Friday night, I'm pretty sure I'm too late to book one either by phone or online. If you do have a campsite, is there any way I could join you??? Not sure if you would have to change your reservation or if it would cost you extra, but I'd be happy to cover it, or chip in either way.

PM me if you have a spot you think I can join you at, and we'll figure it out.

13. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

i'd call before ruling out making a reservation. last weekend i just showed up. the only thing you cant do is make same day reservations.

i still havent decided whether or not im camping. i dont think i am. im thinking im gonna hit whidbey tomorrow after work instead.

14. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Thanks, I actually wrote that while calling, after 15-20 minutes I decided they were gone and that I was on hold for nothing.
    *EDIT*I got ahold of them, they are full for Friday night, it sounds like there are still spots for Saturday, but they will likely fill soon.

15. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

I kind of want to come to said event, just to watch the "shit show". But seriously, after getting mean mugged last week by a fat fuck in a Hawg Quest sweatshirt in 90 degree weather, I think ill take my dog to the island. Evan used to live in my house, and he knows i dont deal well with wanna be toughguys