Dave McNeese

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by trout40, Aug 23, 2011.

1. trout40

trout40 New Member

Is Dave McNeese Custom Fly Rods and Flies still in business? I googled his site and it is no longer active. I sent him a rod for repair back in April and he keeps promising me he will send it next week and that started back in April.

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

3. Geraldo

Geraldo New Member

Hi

I bought a custom Sage z-axis 10' 7wt in early June from him on ebay. It still has not arrived, nor have I received any reason for the hold up. I was told by email following the purchase that it would arrive later in June. The rod did not arrive. I've sent emails since that have all been ignored. Now he appears to have shut down website and left ebay over the last few days and I'm now beyond the Paypal resolution time limits. Yet, in looking at feedback before he closed ebay account, he did send a rod local in USA last week that was received.

I had bought the rod for my father's 60th birthday in July, as I wanted his name on it (Dave does a personalization service) and also bought the rod as I heard that Pacific NW USA has good rod builders and that Dave was a craftsman. I'm a reasonable guy but it's the lack of communication that is the most frustrating thing. I've since seen forum posts of people with similar experiences and his latest ebay feedback was horrendous and I wish I'd seen them earlier. I just don't know what to do. I don't think it's a case of dishonesty, the guy seems so disorganised! It's all been very frustrating and embarrassing telling my father his gift is still in the post!!!

Gez

4. Dogster9

Dogster9 New Member

Gez
    I also purchased a rod of Dave McNeese in June and have the same problems, ie no replies, beyond papal resolution time etc. Let me know if you receive anything and I'll do the same. I do believe that the rod will arrive at some stage after reading other reports but patience wears thin. I live in Australia which makes it harder to contact him.

Richard

5. trout40

trout40 New Member

I have talked to Dave a few times and each time he assures me he will send the rod shortly. I guess all we can do is wait.

6. Geraldo

Geraldo New Member

Richard, will let you know if I do....yeah, hard to be patient, totally disgusted at the situation.

Regards

Gez

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

This is one of the reasons that I never but anything from EBAY. My kids have got so screwed from things advertized and what you actually get it isn't even funny anymore.

8. Geraldo

Geraldo New Member

Never had a problem online before buying items.....maybe I'm naive, but I still like to believe that people are genuine and honourable in life in how they deal with people, especially amongst the fly fishing fraternity...

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I build all my own rods -- comes with a lifetime guarantee :thumb: As for e-Bay, I've never had a problem, but you do need to be diligent.

10. tabornatives

tabornatives Member

Actually ebay is one of the safest bets around. Full buyer protection from them and Paypal. I have had a few bad sellers that either didn't ship or shipped gear that wasn't as described. ebay got right after it and I have been fully reimbursed each time.

11. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

iagree

Sorry to hear that some are having problems. I know what it's like to order stuff online and have to wait way longer than promised, and get stiffed on repair/replacement of defective fly fishing gear. It sucks. A promise is a promise and I don't think it's excessive at all to expect the product or support as promised by a vendor.

But eBay has a good seller rating feature that I check before I bid; especially the last 30 to 60 days. I am not a big eBay buyer but I've purchased a few things including a new Ross Vexis reel with warranty card, a mint K Pump K40, a new March Brown 9' 4 wt pack rod with warranty, and a mint pro level big bore (symphonic) trombone, all from between 25% to 40% of retail. Works for me so far.

12. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

I've bought and sold hundreds of things on Ebay worth thousands of dollars, up to and including my current car that I bought from a dealer in Texas and had shipped to me. I've been stung once on ebay for a $20 dvd.

Buy from respected sellers and you shouldn't have a problem.

M

13. DANATTHEROCK

DANATTHEROCK Member

I had Dave make me a Sage Xi2 with spare tip three years ago. Told me it would be 3 months, got the rod a year later. He had a lot going on at the time, moving to new area, new shop, power issues from weather, etc.. but still, one year? Dang. With that said, it is the nicest rod I ever had built. The guy is a craftsman, but it did take a long time. I would consider him honest, but slow. That is a fair assessment of my experience.

-Dan

14. Dogster9

Dogster9 New Member

has anyone had contact with Dave since he was taken off ebay recently?

15. LowerD

LowerD New Member

I've been on the receiving end McNeese's lies since April. I've heard about how Sage back ordered the blanks, about how the snake eyes were out of stock, about his mom passing away and finally two months ago he said the rod was finished, he was just waiting for the rod tubes to come in so that he could ship mine out. I reminded him that I'm only two hours away and that I would come get the rod and put it in my own rod tube....he hung up and I haven't heard from him since.

The way EBay/Paypal and my credit card works, you only have 45 days to file a dispute. I thought it was unfair to expect him to produce a custom rod in that time frame and since I had personally spoke to him and was assured that the rod was being built, I didn't see any reason not to trust the guy, even though i already knew about his reputation for being full of excuses and filling orders slowly. My fault for exercising too much trust in the guy.

A person should show up at his house and surprise the rod out of him...so to speak.

BUYER BEWARE!!