Dave McNeese

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by trout40, Aug 23, 2011.

1. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

FYI - I've heard/read nothing but good reviews of Kerry Burkheimer and Bob Meiser but have no personal experience. I do have two rods built by Anderson Custom Rods and can endorse them heartily. I developed a problem with a guide on one of the rods, several years after it was built, and it was repaired with no questions asked or fee charged. We have good options.

2. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Well jeez Fred, I've been waiting about 2 years for the fly you were supposed to tie for our OSU - Oregon game bet. Remeber? A scarlett and gray spey fly? Ah, forget it. It's not like it would look like a Dave McNeese fly anyways........ McCheese?,..really?

Kinda surprised you're getting involved in this again after getting smacked on it last time you brought it up. It would be one thing if you ordered something and didn't get it,....but you didn't. And then to resort to childish name calling.....doesn't really do much to alleviate the initial problem.

3. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

It certainly appears, Fred, that the puppy which did not hunt...does now.

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Actually I have sent them off and I've got our 'exchanges' bookmarked.' Well .... total truth be told, the first time I was 'needled' about that had to do a "
    Ah crap." He was right ... I hadn't. But the flies were off in the mail a couple of days later.

Obviously they didn't show up. But back to your second point. When 'People' order up/pay up front (to what ever degree) 'Timely results' are expected. If that's 2 month (fill in a number), that's the name of the game as you're asking for a 'just for me,' not rod number 10,000 and 1. I post on several boards (including in the UK) and anyone whose ordered a rod from Burkie, ACR, or Meiser has ALWAYS gotten just exactly what they expected.

A good reason all three are going great guns in our present economy? (Add Steve Gotshall and his custom fly lines to that list.) Fishing this AM, three rods: A 3wt Meiser, a 5wt Anderson and a 'custom-custom' 6/7 retro fiber glass rod from Steve.

All a treat to cast, all rigged slightly differently so as I walked down the 400'ish yard run I'd take one or the other and just cast Run changed, no 're-rigging,' just take a different rod off the Jeep. My kind of fishing!
    Fred

** Don't want to do a cut and paste, but can if needed.
    Fred

5. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Never needled you, Fred. Only brought up one other time in another Dave Mcneese thread that you felt the need to get involved in. I don't give a sh*t about the fly, just illustrating the forgetfulness and less than punctual situations that can happen to the best of us. I'm not making excuses for Dave, but this is best discussed by people with first hand experience with him. Which you haven't had, right? Why pile on if there is no remedy you can offer?

Also, why put 'exchanges' in quotes? As if they were quarrels or advisarial.... seems to give a strange impression. But your style of writing has always been a bit puzzling.

6. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Sounds like excuses to me and smoke and mirrors Fred...I'll also call BS on the "ol' lost in the mail" story.

I think Dave shook his head at the ass hat on the other end of the phone, set the phone down and went back to tryin' to get stuff done.

7. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I ordered some seal fur from McNeese September 18. Still haven't received it. Have been unable to contact him so I started a case with Pay Pal. Still waiting for resolution. Don't know what the problem is. Perhaps he is ill? traveling? Don't know.

I heard from PAY PAL yesterday and they issued a refund. Still don't know what the story is with Dave.????

8. Salmo Trutta

Salmo Trutta Member

Most of the custom rod builders are very !!!!!!!!! skilled in the process of rodbuilding, using blanks and other components .

However only Kerry Burkheimer is a true rod DESIGNER as he has been designing and refining blanks with Steve Jobs obsession to details from scratch. Once the taper has been designed, the blank are rolled out from graphite fabric in the small factory in Washougal, WA which employees 4 or 5 permanent workers.
    Kerry's rods have understated low key craftsmanship . Many standard tapers can be easily customized to meet your requirements.

Other rod builders get their blanks from South Korea or China, claim it can be customized, but to what extend the blank made oversea can be customized by others who are not fly-fisher, even if a rod builder is heavily involved in the process.......

However if you like your rod to look like a Christmas Tree and prefer all the money paid to go onto the rod, instead into the rod/taper then Burkheimer is NOT the rod for you.

Many of custom rod makers just 5-7 years ago have been building pretty rods based on Winston or Sage blanks, while Kerry has been building SH rods for many years, before even DH got popular in US in 90's. For example he has over 40 tapers of SH wt.5 rod only!!!!!!!!

Kerry forgot more about rod design then others, put together, know about it.......

I have 10 of his rods ( SH and DH) and my has few too. For example 5115-4 used for Alaskan Rainbows arrived late Spring of 2010. The next one will be 4114-4. The only reason the taper is not ready yet is b/c it is not 100.0% perfect. He very rarely refines the taper after it has been release to the public. A rod made once it is good forever.
    You will never find him personally advertising or hyping his rods on-line, as it is expected form a very humble, best rods DESIGNER and maker on the Planet Earth.

9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

How do you like those Burkheimer rods, I hope someday to be able to buy one.

10. Salmo Trutta

Salmo Trutta Member

I used to own Sages, Winstons, Scotts and few Merisers in the past. Of all 10 ( SH + DH ) rods I have all are Burkheimers.

They are amazing fishing and casting tools. Try one to see what I mean.

Hopefully I answered your question.

11. Geraldo

Geraldo New Member

Any of you guys waiting on rods heard anything?...........still nothing at my end....

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Bit of a 'tut-tut' here; Bob Meiser and Gary Anderson design all of their own rods (both here in So-Oregon). You will also see Bob's design work in a couple of other well know line of 2-hander rods. That said, Burkie rods are 'The Bee's Knees' and he does roll all his own blanks there in Washougle (sp?), Washington. If you ever get the opportunity to go through his facility .... TAKE IT! An education to put it mildly.

As for 'you know who,' time to file an action in Small Claims Court?
    fae

13. Dogster9

Dogster9 New Member

Gez
    nothing yet, might give him a phone call again soon to see how things are progressing

14. Geraldo

Geraldo New Member

Any luck guys?.......All emails still received but ignored. I wonder does the USA;s version of trading standards go through the DA office.

If I don't get the rod or a refund soon, I'm going to contact them (though I really don't want to).

Regards

Gez

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

How 'nasty' do you want to get? A few options:

1) Call local police and find out at what point 'theft of monies' changes from a misdemeanor to a full on felony;
    2) Actually file charges against him with the local Police;
    3) File a small claims court action and get a money judgment, that will screw up his credit AND if he has any real property he's toast if he wants to sell same. In that vein the judgment (whether he as any real estate or not is a foreclosable lien against any asset. You contact the local Sheriff and have him execute (they will).

fae