Dave Scadden Pontoon Boats, proper business practice? You be the judge!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by davec, May 17, 2010.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Hummmmm, wonder what ever happened to the check he sent you?????? Another of life's mysteries?

2. davec

davec Member

I chose a frame boat over a frameless, and here is why!
    I purchased an Outcast Pac 900 and couldn't be more pleased with the boat. I recently floated the lower Deschutes from Macks Canyon to the mouth, a four day fish and float. For those of you who have done this float you know there are several big rapids to negotiate. Washout, Gordon Ridge, Colorado, Rattlesnake and Moody are rated Class III or IV depending upon the publication.
    When You plan a trip you "take what you get" and due to the weather conditions the river was up at about 6700 cfs. In addition we had up river winds to 50 on the last day. Well, these rapids get very interesting with all that water going through those squeeze points along with the wind! In addition, the water temperature was in the 40's, no time for a swim. Rescue or self-rescue in fast moving, big, cold water is, well ???
    The Boat: The PAC 900 is one of the most expensive and in my opinion one of the best in its class. The boat and "I" handled the water fine. However, I had to use all of my strength to keep out of trouble. You need a solid connection between the foot rests, yourself, the oar locks, the oars and the water. You get that in a good framed boat. I think some boat marketers rate their boats on "flotation" and tend to de-emphasize the handling aspect. This is to bad as as it can lead to misleading and dangerous conclusions by the purchaser.
    Recommendation: I chose the PAC 900, (400# rating), because I plan on using it on rivers and lakes, and I have a gear raft to carry my stuff on a four or five day float. If I was doing multi-day trips in "heavy water" and carrying my stuff , I would go "back pack light". If you are doing multi-day trips in heavy water and carrying lots of heavy gear you might think about a ten or eleven foot boat.
    My PAC 900 came with two piece 7' aluminum oars that have heavy walled tubes and very good connections, no upgrades needed, these oars can take it! Plus, oar keepers and an extra oar should be included.
    One last thought, as I was facing the angry waters, I was glad I had good equipment, "how much is your life worth" is a question to be asked when contemplating a purchase.

crequa likes this.
  3. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

4. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Outcast makes a good boat and very stout frame. I have the PAC 9000, which was a double pontoon version of the PAC 900 and it has served me well. Of interest is that Dave Scadden worked for Outcast (and Bucks before that) as a pontoon boat designer before he went out on his own. Rick

5. davec

davec Member

The Scadden saga continues, they won't stop! About a month ago I received a wheeled duffel from North Fork Outdoors from an order that I cancelled February 5. I returned the duffel.
    Last week I received a set of oars from an order that I cancelled February 5. I called by phone but their recorder was full and would not accept my message. I emailed them and asked for a return label that they could mail, email or fax to me so I could return the package. No response to my email. I included my phone number in the email, no return call. Today I sent the oars back UPS. I hope this is the last time I have to deal with those folks. At first I was mad, now I am sad that they can't get their s..t together.

6. Keith Humphrey

Keith Humphrey Member

I bit the bullet and ordered the Renegade w upgraded oars..."supposedly" is shipping today and will be here by end of week but I am interested to see what shows up and when. Knew the service was going to stink going into this so just hoping the boat does what I think it will and Ill be happy.

7. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Unlike most of the posts here, my brother ordered a Renegade at the Puyallup show and everything was shipped on time and he is very happy with the boat. I think you will be too. There is really nothing like it on the market and I would assume that is why, despite all the negative stuff on this thread, you ordered one. You will be glad you did, at least if things go like they did for my brother. I've had a two man Mackenzie Scadden for about 4 years now and it has been a great boat for me. Rick

8. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    I heard from Dave Scadden this morning, and he said they have been out of the office for several days filming videos. Now that they are back, maybe biz will be taken care of.

In spite of some snags in the initial ordering / fulfillment of the boat, I am thoroughly delighted with my Rampage and Lightspeed oars at this point.

9. Keith Humphrey

Keith Humphrey Member

I am jacked about it, think it is THE boat when you look at capability + portability...my only tough decision now is what rivers to run this weekend.

10. Keith Humphrey

Keith Humphrey Member

Well my Renegade finally showed up as ordered and working! Few days late and they definately still are a bit on the "rough" side on customer service but I am happy and the boat appears to be very worthy of some serious whitewater even at 9ft long. Grabbing the light spey, doing a long test float tomorrow and if the stars align might just say hello to a chrome summerrun...cheers

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Don't know the fellow 'from Adam's odd Fox.' But did the office recorder say they were off and running for a few days? Yes, yes, let them know you're gone and ..... oh forget it 99.99999999% of the time.

Just curious, just curious.

fae

12. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    I don't know, Fred. Why don't you call them and ask them?

(801)392-5404

Or are you just trying to stir the pot?

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Quite the contrary. I was responding (scratching my head is more like it) to this post:

"Originally Posted by Michael Nelson
    I heard from Dave Scadden this morning, and he said they have been out of the office for several days filming videos. Now that they are back, maybe biz will be taken care of.

In spite of some snags in the initial ordering / fulfillment of the boat, I am thoroughly delighted with my Rampage and Lightspeed oars at this point."

Not in the least, But lets just say that it's not considered a 'good business practice' to close down an office for several days (how small is this business?) without 'something' to advise your present/future customers that you're not available 'from/to.' (Voice mail recording at the least asking the caller to 'leave his name/number and we'll return you call, etc'.)

fae

14. Keith Humphrey

Keith Humphrey Member

really had no issues contacting them via phone during M-F bus hrs and i called alot over the past two weeks...

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Thanks Keith ("really had no issues contacting them via phone during M-F bus hrs and i called alot over the past two weeks... ). That makes a bit more sense; had the impression there was dead silence when you tried to contact them by the choice of words used earlier.

fae