Pattern Dave's Golden Stone Nymph

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Davy, May 9, 2005.

1. Davy

Davy Active Member

:ray1: This is a good one. If you fish stone nymphs, put some of these in your box. A guide ,named Dave obviously, taught this fly to my son and I 3 or4? years ago in California,actually, technically he didn't teach me the fly;; after a day of catching fish after fish on one while fishing with Dave -the one on the left came home with me , not sure how that happened. :rofl: :thumb: :cool:

Recipe;

Hook; I use 9672's in 6,8 &10 , TMC 2302 work well too.

Dress the fly upside down

thread, 6/0 golden stone

Tungston Bead # 1/8"
    .015 lead wire

tail dubbing ball= amber dubbing
    tail; Ginger goose biots
    rear body rib; fine gold wire

body/abdomen; vernille, to match, or (like me) I use bright yellow and "tone" the fly with waterproof markers to my liking.

Back; Thinskin; color to match

legs; rubber, micro if you can find it, again, I use white or yellow and markers to tone them to satisfaction.Micro legs were not avail when he tyed so he used the smallest he could find.

Directions;

Debarb hook. Slide bead on. Wrap lead full shank,leave just enough room at rear for dubbing ball and tails.

Dub a little ball at back (large enough to separate tails in current though.Tie in tails on sides and dub just a dab more over the tie in. wrap forward and tie in wire along side of shank. wrap back to bring wire to rear. Cut a 1/8"-3/16" strip of thinskin. taper one end. tie this in on top(bottom) at rear.tie in vernille and wrap forward halfway.Fold thinskin over top of the vernille and tie down while pulling tightly,wrap this just to behind the eye to build thorax bulk.Wrap rib forward.tie down and cut off.bring thread back to end of abdomen. fold thinskin back to rear at beginning of thorax and tie down. Tie in vernille again. Tye yourself three sets of little legs along sides of thorax. Weave vernille up through the legs to bead. Pull thinskin over this and tie down behind bead. Take thread back through vernille to first section and make 4 or 5 wraps to stregthen thorax skin and bring back to head and whip finish. Flexcement the head and secondary wrap. you are done !

Cast it into the current slot, stack mend and hold on tight ! :thumb:

Who wants to take and upload all the pictures of this? :thumb:

Davy

Attached Files:

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Heh Davy mine is very similiar...you'll see it when we get our summer-run swap flies.

:cool:

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

Sweet ! Can't wait to see it,, and/or anything you tye Scott. That stone thing just flat out works tho'.

My speys are done and mailed today to Stu. Hope you like :thumb:

davy