Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Day On The Skagit River

16K views 148 replies 34 participants last post by  Chris Johnson 
#1 ·
It was a great day on the river Sunday though cold. The reason for my report is to talk about the number of fly guys were on the river. I know older guys like myself would like to have the river to themselves, but that doesn't bother me. There was a time when I knew most every person I saw on the river. Now I don't know anyone. After talking to Kurt Kramer for a short time about a drift boat at the boat launch we were using, I realized that the last time I attended a steelhead meeting it was just us same old guys. I have a great time with all of us and would love the new fisherman on the river to join in.

#6 ·
I was on the river Sunday morning as well and I agree there were quite a few folks out for a 20 degree day in January. More rigs and trailers in Hamilton than I used to see mid February when it was open. Some friends got back from the Hoh and they thought it was pretty crowded for January. Warmer on the coast of course. The popularity of steelhead fishing has grown exponentially since the Skagit closed. A lot of us that continued to fish the coast have not only contributed to but have witnessed the mayhem develop over time. When the Skagit does open for C&R, the old rods of the river are going to be in for a rude awakening when steelheaders-version-2017 shows up. Folks are going to have to start thinking outside the box if we want a quality fishery that doesn't dry up like an A9 Chinook opener.

Just curious, which drift boat were you talking about? Wondering if it was my weird one..:)

#7 ·
Many who fished Sunday might actually have thought this through a little. River is currently running low and clear. A warming trend and significant rain storm is forecast for the region. Flood warnings have been issued for much of the area. Most of the Skagit closes the 31st. Sunday may well have been the last day to fish the river.

#9 · (Edited)
not sure which forecast you're looking at but the ones I've seen suggest the system will see the best conditions of the early season yet by Friday. Like most others, I just thought there was a fish out there for me to catch on Sunday but boy was I wrong! FYI this will likely be the last time folks get to fish birdsview in winter for years...

#11 ·
not sure which forecast you're looking at but the ones I've seen suggest the system will see the best conditions of the early season yet by Thursday. Like most others, I just thought there was a fish out there for me to catch on Sunday but boy was I wrong! FYI this will likely be the last time folks get to fish SH in birdsview for years...
I guess if one doesn't have to work fishing until Thursday is an option.

#12 ·
I'm hoping by next Wednesday it will be fishable . Weekend no way too many guys. If Sunday was bad I hate to see the river when it warms up. My point in the first place is you don't have to do much just show up to a steelhead meeting. If your plan is to just catch bull trout the rest of your life then stay home. Or just practice your casting .

#13 ·
As Rimmy mentioned I was on the Skagit Sunday. A friend called in the AM about hitting a couple spots; I agreed to go as long we didn't hit the water until the temperatures had warmed. I don't know as I age (will be 70 on my next birthday) whether I getting to be a more of a wimp or maybe just smarting but I find I avoid harsh conditions. Was booted and walking into the first spot at noon; sun was out, temperatures were in the upper 30s and no wind; in short a pleasant afternoon. January has always if for wild steelhead but there is always a chance at a steelhead and this time of year isn't the best for bull trout there usually a few are willing to cooperate.

Besides us two I saw 10 other anglers. Saw one other bank angler (a fellow fly angler) and the rest were in personal water craft or other floating devices. Only two were gear anglers the rest were fly anglers with most fishing two handed rods. About 1/2 of the anglers were what I would call young and the others gray beards.

A couple comments about the river which was clear and in excellent shape. The massive intrusion of sand from the 2003 flood continues to work its way downstream and there appears to be an overall important in the mid-reach of the Skagit. A concern was with the success of this years chum run. As Skagit regulars know this fall was another in a serious of poor chum returns. Unfortunately the fish that spawn during the first half of the November did so in some high water. I took the time one bar to examine the old chum redds and found that the eggs of a significant portion of the redds likely froze during this prolong cold snap. Many of the redds were approximately 2 vertical feet about the current river level.

I agree with Rimmy those involved in the struggles to protect resource and perhaps fish on that resource seems to fall mostly on the older generation of anglers. Yesterday we were discussing that situation and agreed that part of the problem is that many of the young generation anglers just have not "earned" the access to these fisheries and just don't seem to have a lot of appreciation of what it took and will take to provide what we once enjoyed.

Curt

#15 ·
I agree with Rimmy those involved in the struggles to protect resource and perhaps fish on that resource seems to fall mostly on the older generation of anglers. Yesterday we were discussing that situation and agreed that part of the problem is that many of the young generation anglers just have not "earned" the access to these fisheries and just don't seem to have a lot of appreciation of what it took and will take to provide what we once enjoyed.

Curt
I agree Curt. Could you expand on what you mean by "earn" access to these fisheries?

#16 · (Edited)
My take on earning access to new fisheries is just that...putting the time to learn them. That means rather than relying on an internet report, you spend the coin to buy the gas and take the time to go check it out for yourself. It means taking notes/records of conditions for future reference. It means hiking up a new spot to get river access that most others won't do because it is too much effort. It means helping others to learn the process too, not just giving or telling them the easy answers but rather help them to learn/earn it for themselves. It means going fishing even when conditions are not great, at the bookends of the seasons so you come to appreciate the opportunity of just being there, even though it is not prime season. It is knowing the history of the area and recognizing the pioneers that blazed the way for future anglers and the next generation. It is having respect for the river and the resource. Slowing down and taking the time to stop and look around and notice things like dewatered redds, hatching fry, an eagle eating a carcass. It is being content with what the day and the river offers...not the attitude of "ripping lips" and high fives so you can go back and brag to your friends about your effectiveness as an angler. It may sound corny but to me me, that is earning access to fisheries.

#19 · (Edited)
Yes, regs played a part, hence why I stated 'outside of non-human causes'. You can't have it both ways and selectively blame the regs when it fits your agenda and then hide behind them when you are at fault. Most obvious example would be just because the regs state you can harvest wild steelhead doesn't mean it isn't your fault for doing so. Someone recently posted the video of Herzog holding back tears talking about how badly they all mistreated the resource just a few decades ago. That wasn't the government's fault.

To be clear, 'you' in this case is people in general, not bk paige.

edit: heres the video

#26 ·
".... Just because people have gotten used to it and the younger fishermen have never known anything else and therefore accept it as normal doesn't mean it's right. The fishermen I've known for the last twenty- five years, who looked forward to fall and winter as the time to think about salmon and steelhead, have all done one of three things:
Given up the sport in disgust, accept crowded conditions with a shrug, or cleared out. I belong to the latter group, having no interest in viewing the remains."

R. Chatham 1988

#27 · (Edited)
For work and on my own time I attend a lot of conservation-related events, hearings, meetings, film screenings, etc. Have for going on a decade now.

I can tell you flat out that the crowds I see at these events, and particularly at 2015's Commission meeting on OP regulations, do include a growing segment of "young" outdoor users. This is heartening. And I think it's a big part of "earning' the resource.

Sure a lot of these 35 and under peers need to learn how to be effective with their advocacy, how conservation strategy works, and where to put in time besides Retweets and "Likes". And there seems to be less of them in wild fish work than in wildlife and outdoor rec causes. But I believe the state of the hunter/angler/outdoor-conservationist today is better than online media and forums might lead us to believe. And it's absolutely better than it was a decade ago.

Yes, there are hero lurkers who only care about the next Insta post with a big fish and a Buff over their face. Especially in Trout Country. But I'm optimistic the generation currently growing fly fishing's ranks (and breaking down barriers between user groups) will evolve past that phase and become a real force for conservation. If they (we?) do, I couldn't care less if they rock flat brims or Bassnecter.

We've got a long ways to go and many emerging threats, but perhaps they'll even be the ones to ensure a future with semi-restored wild fish runs and protected wild, public places. Because previous generations sure haven't ensured us that future, even if it's not for lack of trying.

#36 ·
The draft plan as submitted specifies a Feb - Apr season and the area upstream of the Dalles bridge. However, NMFS is reviewing the plan based on estimated "take" under the tiered run forecast levels. NMFS doesn't care what the fishing season or boundaries are. That is up to WDFW, and that's where public input to the Dept. comes in. In 2009 and prior, the middle Skagit was open to Mar. 15. That could be the case again if WDFW is receptive to the idea.

Sg

#42 ·
I'm just trying to get people more involved. Mr. Golfman, what are the young fishermen bringing to the table?
Same thing as the older generation: a passion for the sport, the resource, and conservation. The only thing they aren't bringing is the greed and sense of entitlement to killing wild fish until they are placed on an endangered species list. This younger generation has been a huge advocate for improving habitat (removing dams like that on the Elwha), and C&R for all wild fish. If we'd had the younger generation's mentality 50 years ago, there would still be fishable numbers of wild steelhead in every ditch draining into puget sound.

#47 ·
I remember the first steelhead I ever released. It was on The N.F. Nooksack River after it first became mandatory. It was in
1980's maybe late 70's I think.
Not going to lie, it was difficult having always kept them before that. It was that way then, most people fished for fun and expected to have a fish to bring home too if they caught one. People used to kill bull trout (dollies back then) suckers and sculpin and toss them in the bushes. Some still do I'm sure.
My Grandmother could not fathom fishing and letting the fish go. She caught as many steelhead, likely more than her peers in the 50's and 60's and helped contribute to their slow demise.
She could not figure out why people would ever fish for bass either. The concept of fishing purely for fun/sport was foreign to the vast majority then.
Many folks my age grew up learning about the outdoor's from people like that and were slow to embrace change.
It's really too bad the fragility of our wild resources weren't recognized and embraced many, many years earlier.
That being said I can't bring myself to kill wild steelhead, trout, or bass anymore. Thank goodness a lot more people feel that way now.
Thanks for reading.
Peace out.

#50 ·
I remember the first steelhead I ever released. It was on The N.F. Nooksack River after it first became mandatory. It was in
1980's maybe late 70's I think.
Not going to lie, it was difficult having always kept them before that. It was that way then, most people fished for fun and expected to have a fish to bring home too if they caught one. People used to kill bull trout (dollies back then) suckers and sculpin and toss them in the bushes. Some still do I'm sure.
I know what you mean wanative. I threw back some barn door Columbia kings off Westport back in the 90s and felt filthy about it. Things were just starting to change in the saltwater salmon realm.

I can't imagine killing a wild fish today.

#54 ·
NA,

Moving fishing boundary lines is feasible provided the total ESA take limit isn't exceeded and WDFW feels it's consistent with the purpose of the fishery. It's important to note that while the LaConner office is well aware of the concerns and values of Skagit steelhead fishing, it wouldn't even be an afterthought in Olympia, but for OS, other fishing groups, and the Skagit Tribes putting it on Olympia's radar screen. This past year or so has taught me more than ever that WDFW is primarily the WA Dept. of Salmon and is barely aware of steelhead. I'm thinking of bringing bull trout to their attention next, and my guess is they don't know the difference between that species and the Olympic mudminnow.

Sg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.