Dead drifting under an indicator in the salt?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Now come on I was only somewhat monitoring 4 rods because you were a bit elbow under the weather from your massive fish fighting days up in Alaska. A pair for each was still 4 rods. If I recall correctly, it paid off as well with fish landed on each of the rods. My favorite though was the casted to and landed Tile Fish.

2. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Roger, you are a wealth. So try an orange scud.

3. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

I did this once for Coho jacks in the Spring, I had a euphasid ~4-5 ft under a bobber and a split for getting it down quick, and fished a deep bowl shaped part of a beach where I caught similar fish over a few days using figure 8 retrieve and thought it'd be a good 'new' approach. The wind was blowing into my face and it was a real bas'td trying to cast directly into it and worse with the bobber/split. I'd let the gear settle and slowly draw it back in at the same speed as the waves. I caught some fish but it was not fun at all casting and I haven't tried it again. It was haul and hide as opposed to chuck and duck as that stuff whistled past my face/head on the back stroke. I'd wear glasses if you do this.

Dave

4. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Fishing a fly under a bobber is one of my favorite techniques for tropical reef fish. It keeps it suspended and out of the rocks and bommies. Leland's euphasid is an especially effective pattern for this (and for searuns), it mimics many of the translucent small crustaceans that are preyed upon by wrasse, triggerfish, hawkfish, damselfish and certain tangs. But you don't need to "dead" drift it all the time. You are imitating living creatures, which will struggle against tide and current. Occasional movement, including mends, will help bring them to life. The bobbers also add attraction and are sometimes attacked.

damsel.jpg

5. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

How about sea bass under the indicator? Huh Nick, Chris, huh? Think it will work? Maybe a balanced Clouser with a stinger?

jeff bandy likes this.
  6. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

So, hopper-dropper in the salt?

Sounds damn fun! Wish I woulda thought of that this last spring when I was on Kauai. Bet it would have killed it...big gurgler with a "whatever" dropped off of it...

constructeur likes this.
  7. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

I'm going to do the chum bobber thing this year :)