Dealing with the $$$ question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by stratocaster, May 30, 2009.

1. bldrbill

bldrbill New Member

Hey, it's a hobby, and people take leave of their senses when it comes to their hobbies. Some guys drink too much, some gamble, some chase women. Sometimes you find a really bad guy who ties flies.

2. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Two hundred dollars worth of tying supplies lasts longer than 200.00 in beer, plus you'll remember what you did afterwards!

3. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

we all know the costs of tying our own flies!

but we all know what enjoyment we get from catching a fish on something we tied ourselves! that is the true reward:D

4. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Home Page:

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I caught a really nice rainbow on a tent wing caddis that I tied for a dry fly swap. Yup, caught it on my own tie. Not the largest trout to date but close. Not the first fish on one of my own flies. It was the largest trout to date on one of my own flies. That makes that fly worth the price of its materials and hopefully all the materials used to tie them up for the swap.

For the record I have not yet done the dangling gonadal check and pulled the trigger on a jungle cock neck or cape, but I have got a lot of pretty cool stuff to tie patters way more advanced than my tying skill.

Enjoy tying!

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Agree on this one. I keep what I call the "big boy toy fund" which is a cache of cash whose soul purpose is for purchasing fly fishing stuff whether it be tying material or a new rod. Latest purchase was not fly tying stuff but was indeed a new rod which depleted the fund to nothing but within a few months it will be replinished to the point where more purchases can be made. Wifey is none the wiser.

7. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

I am in the same boat as Jeremy and Kerry. As soon as I got married (w/ joint bank accounts) the debit card got put away and the stock pile of cash money came out :thumb:

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I totaled up what I had invested in this art form one time and then I looked at all the crappy flies that I tied up and swore off tying for the rest of my life. I now just spend a little at the fly shop when I go to see what they are hitting on.

It saves on my frayed nerves from trying to tie up a small fly.

Jim

9. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

"Arts and Crafts", according to my wife who picked it up from her brother's wife.
    It's a conspiracy.

10. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

You don't have to be a good mechanic to be a good race car driver, but all the best ones are.

You don't have to tie your own flies to be a good fly fisherman, but the best ones do. It gets you that much closer to understanding the behavior of the bug and the behavior of the fish.

11. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

I'd look into getting some of your materials outside the fly shop too. You can find a lot of the same stuff at a local craft store or in bulk online. Choose you patterns wisely. Simple patterns might not be as fun but can stock your fly boxes for a while thus saving you money. Some patterns are too obnoxious to invest money into tying. Buy those at your local shop.

I tie patterns like the Pat's stone, generic beadheads, etc in bulk (assembly line style). You can bang out a ton and definitely save a lot of money. These patterns don't require fine hackle or any equisite material.

Back in MA it was a no brainer tying striper flies for yourself. The flies were also a lot more expensive (3-8 dollars). You would save a lot of money esp since stripers would destroy any fly that crosses their path.

After all this is typed out I realized that tying flies will ultimately lose you money. If you think about the alcohol consumption involved during your time at the bench you're gonna be way way way way way in the negative. I suggest going to home depot, hiring some illegals, teaching them how to tie, and sitting back while with glass of whiskey to enjoy your new fly tying operation.

12. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    I go back and forth on this all the time -- this weird addiction of ours will always be a money drain -- but here are my thoughts:

If you fish a lot -- and fearlessly cast flies into tight spots and boulder-studded bottoms, tying flies will save you money in the long run -- if you can steer clear of jungle cock necks and the top-grade dry-fly necks. It is very possible to tie fish-fooling dry flies without any hackle at all. Comparaduns, Sparkle duns, X-caddis, the Canoe Fly and others come to mind.

Tying your own also lets you carry a greater variety of flies, and you can match at the vise what you see on the stream -- or lake or saltwater inlet. Having the ability to do this is fantastic and will lead to more fish. It may just mean changing the color of an existing fly, tying a sparkly shuck onto a dry fly or whatever, but little changes can make a lot of difference.

It is painful to pay $2 for a Woolly Bugger that you can tie in five minutes.

It is amazing to catch a fish on a fly you tied yourself. I believe that doing this elevates fly fishing from a hobby into something much greater.

If you are a poverty stricken college student -- as I was -- tying flies can make you enough money to keep Top Ramen and pasta on the table.

If you are careful, you can tie lots of different flies with a fairly small selection of materials -- not that I've been able to do this. For example, a good chunk of deer hair -- shorter black tips on the hairs are best -- some hackle fibers and several different colors of good dubbing to tie comparadun dry flies -- and Sparkle Duns -- to match Blue Winged Olives, Pale Morning Duns, March Browns, Tricos, etc.... Of course you also need hooks, tools and thread. This is really the way to save money.

Finally, tying flies is something you can do at home. It's a pleasure to sit at the vise -- perhaps listening to baseball or jazz on the radio -- and make something with your own hands. And even raggedy flies catch fish.

13. lost_in_arizona

lost_in_arizona New Member

Home Page:
    I've been tying for almost 30 years now (I started when I was under 10) but I can still remember catching that first 18" trout on my own fly or my largest fish ever at 27.5". I still have "experimental" flies that I carry 2-3 of in my boxes that have saved the day on many occasions. There's the ones I have code words for between my brother and father so that we can yell "It was candy!" and no one knows what were using. So many great memories about tying my own flies. I'll admit that it's very difficult to leave a fly shop without some more materials, although I could probably start my own fly shop with everything I have. My wife is pretty good about it. Although it is difficult to explain to people why you have a $100 neck from a rooster that was genetically grown by a PhD for what??? Uh...yeah.

14. Michael Hinkle

Michael Hinkle (stinkle)

so i do not want to post a new thread so i will just ask on this one:You guys keep talking about all the money you have spent and what not, for a newbie like me who wants to get into tying, how much should I save up to make my initial investment? I want to be able to die about 15-20 flies to use on the yakima next year.

15. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Home Page:
    i'll throw out a figure that to some may be high and to some it may be low but $300-$350 sounds good to me. that should get you a decent stationary vise and a good set of dr slick tying tools. then the process will be what flies you want to tie for the area you are going to fish and then buying the materials to tie.