Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

December fly salon

3K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  kelvin 
#1 ·
I love caddis emergers and pupa. Probably the most important caddis pattern you can tie because it is the stage at which the bugs are readily available to feeding trout. Caddis flys are usually strong swimmers which means they will often times be found all throughout the water column, whether they are swimming furiously to the waters edge or using an air bubble to shoot up from the bottom of the stream you can bet the fish will be all over them. Besides, they just look buggy.

So here's mine, its kind of an oliver edwards style, and thanks to everyone in advance for sharing theirs.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My poopah submission, a semi-sparkle caddis poopah.

Gamakatsu Scud size 14
Thorax: Green Sparkle yarn
Rib: Small copper wire
Shuck: Tan sparkle yarn combed out
Hackle: Partridge soft hackle.
Head: Brown Antron Dubbing.
Arthropod Insect Pest Terrestrial plant Twig

Taken with my new Tokina 100mm/f2.8 Macro and Nikon D7000. Background is a cheapy photo umbrella. I'm liking the photo results.

#12 ·
My poopah submission, a semi-sparkle caddis poopah.

Gamakatsu Scud size 14
Thorax: Green Sparkle yarn
Rib: Small copper wire
Shuck: Tan sparkle yarn combed out
Hackle: Partridge soft hackle.
Head: Brown Antron Dubbing.
View attachment 21489

Taken with my new Tokina 100mm/f2.8 Macro and Nikon D7000. Background is a cheapy photo umbrella. I'm liking the photo results.
NIIIIIIICE!

#5 ·
Both good looking patterns. I've no doubt those will work.

That old air bubble theory makes me chuckle. Perhaps a little gas under the skin.

I'm convinced that patterns tied with wing holsters work best, as they are a distinct feature of the emerger. Pat Lat what material are your pattern's wing holsters made from? They look very realistic.

#6 ·
I did some research on the whole pupa/air bubble thing...and found out that the females trap an air bubble, swim down, deposit eggs, then use the air bubble to quickly float back up to the surface. The time that takes is minimal compared to a hatching caddis, but it actually does happen. Not really worth imitating though. What was apparent on all the research/images I could find, is that there is a definite iridescent sheen to the shuck, and that's more what I was going for. No big bubbles, that's why I kept the shuck tight to the body.

#7 ·
I did some research on the whole pupa/air bubble thing...and found out that the females trap an air bubble, swim down, deposit eggs, then use the air bubble to quickly float back up to the surface. The time that takes is minimal compared to a hatching caddis, but it actually does happen. Not really worth imitating though. What was apparent on all the research/images I could find, is that there is a definite iridescent sheen to the shuck, and that's more what I was going for. No big bubbles, that's why I kept the shuck tight to the body.
Jon, my comment was pointed at Pat's mention of the air bubble. Didn't mean it as a critique of your fine pattern. I like your idea of creating some miasma about the body. I try for a similar effect using puff from the base of dyed mallard flank feathers. Very glassy & irridescent & lots of movement when wet. Here's an October Caddis version: http://columbiatrout.blogspot.com/miasmic-october-caddis.html

#24 ·
one more bump for submissions before decembers over. I know theres a lot going on this time of year so I figured I had to pick a theme that everyone could come up with a fly for. Tie up your favorite, or pull one out of you box and get a pic posted! otherwise Ill have to choose between porterhaus who was the winner of the month before last, or kelvin who I believe has already won in the past, not that thats a bad thing, I just wanted to have a little more variety.:)

#26 ·
Here's one I use a lot. Quick and easy to tie, no need to keep it neat, the scruffier the better, I think! Sits in the surface film, and works great on Italian spring creeks.

Hook: Partridge #16
Thread and tag: Sparton (About a 10/0) Green
Wing: Elk-hair
Dubbing: Dark Hare's Mask with guard hairs teased out

#31 ·
So after lots of staring at all of the submissions, the winner is brian thomas. The creativity, originality and hook choice were second to none in this months salon. thanks all for participating

What is that hook by the way, and what did you use for the wing pads? It looks damn near irresistable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.