Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Deep water Carp Tactics???

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  DeanHosh 
G
#1 ·
I've been following the posts about Greenlake and the carp opportunities. Well, I was there for a couple of hours today while my bride walked the lake with our dog. I fished the NW corner in front of the pads and while I saw carp splashing, I had absolutely no luck. So what tactics does one employ when the water depth does not allow you to see these bruisers cruising? Anything besides cast and wait???:beathead:

#2 ·
Deep water blind fishing for carp with a fly is a low odds thing. Look around for shallow wadeable water. It's there from pictures I have seen.
The "splashing around" thing is likely spawning activity and that would further decrease your odds. In a few weeks that should be over and if you can locate shallows you'll be in the game. Carp on the fly is "sight fishing", so get them in your sights.

Fishing for deeper cruisers from a boat in clear water where you can see them is doable.... not easy though.

#3 ·
Those splashing carp are spawners and IMO totally uncatchable. I've only only caught a carp I didnt see induvidualy or cast to an area were several carp were feeding. Deep water carp would be almost impossible as most carp eat when the fly is not moving and spit out soon if you cannot see the eat. I would wait until you can find carp in the shallows feeding. If you can't see a fish, do not cast.

Carping has to be one of the lowest casts per hookup game in the state.

G
#5 ·
I kinda had a feeling futility was the topic for that day... Anyone know Greenlake enough to point out where one might locate some carp flats? I enjoy searching new water... whenever there aren't 50,000 people asking me stupid questions every five seconds about what I'm doing. That's a real drawback to fishing in downtown Seattle.

#6 ·
Though I haven't yet caught any carp at Green Lake, a friend of mine scored one while trolling EXTREMELY SLOW off of the western lily pads. I don't know how much of his Intermediate sink line he had out, but he figured he had to have been just barely off the bottom. The pattern he was using was a good nymphy imitation of what one would expect to find around weed beds.

--Dave

#10 ·
Has anyone tried hanging a nymph under an indicator (sorry, bobber)? You can get the depth right and hang darn near anything a carp might eat. With a corkie you could see even the softest takes. Wave action or a slow retrieve would give the fly a little motion and bring the carp over to look/eat.

Jerry

#11 ·
I think they are golden carp, at least that is what is looked like when I released one Thursday.

About 18" caught in in the middle of the lake on a intermediate line.

It was a long fight using a 5wt. I managed to bring him in and as I was releasing it kept on making that croaking sound which had me laughing.

Dean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.