Demystifying Skagit and Scandi Heads

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steelie Mike, Jun 3, 2009.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I know this much, I don't know chit. I started throwing string with a 2 hander back before anyone had named it Skagit casting or Skagit lines. Somewhere along the years I heard about Scandi lines. WTF? I don't think I have ever seen one but I wouldn't know because I wouldn't know one if I did see it. My fishing partner uses a DT line on his 2 handers. I have cast it a few times and it works to get the fly out. I am still using lines I made over 10 years ago. The only factory line I ever had was a wind cutter. Used it one day and sold it. Every line I have for my 2 handers I made myself except for one which I think the Sultan made. I guess my lines are considered Skagit lines but I don't know for sure. I play with lines until they cast the way I want them to. I listen to others who make lines and try their suggestions; if they work I keep doing it.

Good work Brian and Mike. It helps people understand what this 2 handed stuff is. Some like to analyze stuff. Some like to try every new thing that comes along. Cool. Whatever throws your line. I guess the more information we get out there the better. Personally I like it simple. No taper at either end to speak of, just line that flies out the guides when I want it to. Skagit, Sacndi, long belly, short belly, DT, whatever. It’s all good.

2. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

yup.
    skagit, scandi, or bellies...the choices are varied, interesting and fun.

I cast all ways, and a couple that haven't been invented yet:rofl:

my favorite small-stream tactic is named SKANDIT.

get out there and have fun, guys. it's supposed to be recreational...:thumb:

3. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Brian Chou is a Geek...............................................a spey Geek:D:D:D He is also my jedi spey master...............:ray1::ray1::ray1:

Keith

4. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher You're only so smart as what you choose to share.

Home Page:
    really...theres always a couple in every bunch that have completely missed the point and feel the need to "weigh in" in their own fabricated corner. no surprise there. :thumb:

but with that said, the point of this article, as well as the talks ive given, are to not dust every single corner of the shooting head arena and its history, but to take the questions ive been asked and group them into what i have found to be an effective and simple way to help everyone from beginners to experts understand the basic uses of these lines, why they do their jobs well, and why they have their limitations. i dig analogies...theyre fun to use when communicating, but as it will always be when speaking to a large crowd, not everyone will get them. i'm fine with the vast majority..the rest are more than welcome to click that little PM button and ask away! as stated above, its all recreation...and we can make it as simple or complicated as we would like...personally, as many of you may have guessed, ive always wanted to know the why behind things, its what keeps me awake at night. that and doing what i can to help assist others in finding their grasp on this passion of mine. i aim to work smarter, not harder. theres always a more efficient way to do something where you waste no effort and are nasty effective...i KNOW im not the only one who has wondered how they could get that extra rotation from that curveball from adjusting where you hold the seams or how if you let go of the quarter just a shade before it bounces that you can get way more height and accuracy to drop it into the shotglass! on that note, heres a video of my buddy making the most incredible quarters shot of all time....but like Keith said, i'm a geek. always have been...fish on...:beer2:

5. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Holy Shit!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: (nice quarter shot)

6. inland

inland Active Member

k2,

My comment was nothing more then a smart assed quip over using a sustained anchor with skagit heads. That style alone has probably been the biggest factor in driving skagit to what it has become today. Failure to mention skagit and sustained anchor in the same breath usually results in Ed shotgunning a series of skagit posts. Those who dig the style or consider themselves 'students of the sport' get a free doctorate lecture everytime.

William

7. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

Mike, Brian,

Thanks for the link and post, I just picked up a TFO DC 7wt, switch rod and am trying to decide what to line it with. I have heard and seen the terms Skagit and Scandi but didn't know the difference. Now I just need to decide what to line it with!

Mark

8. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

i'll do skagit and scandi any day over an EGG! thats all i gotta say.. Brian , i will read your thingy later, ive been on the net lookin at fishin shit for (says the fiance'poo) like 4 hours, my eyes hurt. im sure the article is a good read, look forward to it.....tomorrow:)

9. Winter run

Winter run New Member

I just picked up a Tim Rajeff Echo 10' 10" switch rod loaded w/ Ross CLA4 and Airflo 540g tactical shooting head; I will be learning how to Spey cast and fish with this setup!!! I haven't been this excited to get out and fish in a long time!!

I'm open to suggestions at anytime!

I'm gonna go back and read that article now.

:beathead:

10. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I think that 740 is going to be a bit much man.

11. Winter run

Winter run New Member

I goofed Its Airflow 540 Skagit Tactical shooting head.... My Bad went back and lookd at my box :beathead:

12. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

OK much better :)

13. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Are kidding jarrod? 740g is perrrrfect! Let it rain!! J/K

14. FT

FT Active Member

Mike,

The Scandanavians also cast rather large and heavy brass tube flies on their floating Scandi lines. But, that is not what the purpose of my other post was. I was simply pointing out in a very short, somewhat tongue-in-cheek sentence that Scandi lines are used for casting rather large and heavy flies on rather large rivers to quite far distances. Additonally, I was also responding to my friend William's also tongue-in-cheek response and Kerry's rightfull observation that "Skagit casting and lines" have been around and used since the mid-1980's and aren't something new.

I was also pointing out in the same tongue-in-cheek manner that anyone who writes about Skagit and Scandi lines and casting owes it to his readers to inform them that Skagit casting and lines have been around for 25+ years and that neither Skagit or Scandi hinders one's ability to fish or one's ability to cast and fish large flies, they just are different casting techniques. Just like those like myself and my friend William prefer to fish with long-belly lines and big rods and we catch our share of fish too, including with large and heavy flies when needed.

Brian,

The reason I think folks who write something for consumption by an audience of newcomers to spey casting or those inexperienced in spey casting (which the article in question is clearly aimed at) ought to inform them of the fact that Skagit has been around for 25+ years and that Scandi casters cast large, heavy brass tube flies a goodly distance is because the intended audience is uniformed and knows very little about spey casting. Thus, not providing this info to them results in them incorrectly thinking that Skagit casting is virtually brand new and that Skagit lines are the only and best way to go. This ends up with the unintended consequence of these newcomers thinking they know a lot more than they actually do and thus results in "instant expert" syndrom. In other words, the newcomers think they have the knowledge they need too tell others what lines to get, etc., eventhough they are not properly informed or knowledgeable. In effect, many of these newcomers with the limited knowledge they glean from an article such as yours become "experts" who think they are qualified to help others when they really aren't well-enough informed about 2-handed rods and the various types of spey lines and the advantages and disadvantages of each type.

15. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Huh......I guess I need a filson vest and a cigar before I know anything about regurgitating other peoples thoughts on a non-progressive form of a sport....... I mean, I would hate to stray from a closed-minded tradition to make something more efficent and effective for others that are not as sophisticated to pick up and have fun with.