Demystifying Skagit and Scandi Heads

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steelie Mike, Jun 3, 2009.

1. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

How is the history of a casting technique relevant to a simple 3 paragraph article on the difference between the two lines. I would be interested in what your definition of " rather large fly" is. It would be nice if someone could contribute to the sport by informing the up and coming beginners without some asshat correcting them. :rolleyes:

Brad "asshat police"

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Which came first the line or the casting technique? Discussion is good for all even when it is somewhat contentious which a lot of the time that contention is merely the perception of the reader and not the intention of the writer.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Brad, friendly wager here...I'm willing to wager that if an as of yet uninformed beginner who is up and coming in the two handed game were to study up a bit here or other information filled sites (which I don't participate in) and were to find a few posters who seemed to know their way around the two handers...and sent such members a well appointed PM there would never be a need for any rolling of the eyes, negative text based exchanges or terms like "asshat" or "asshat police" which [sarcasm coming] likely will garner you exactly the prime information that you covet. Sorry for the incomprehensible long run on sentence, but there are a bunch of guys here that post prickly responses when broad sweeping questions arise, but I've found many are quick to guide someone with limited knowledge and skill [I'm talking about me here, not you or anyone else] and give very clear, easy to visualize and attempt information.

We've got great moderators here that quickly pounce on the out of control stuff and posters and let other topics go for the sake of letting our online community to chew on those ideas back and forth. Let them be the "asshat police".

Best of luck with your two hander. As you get things figured out, I for one will gladly seek out your advice and guidance as I'm still terribly green in that game.

4. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

I think the article should be read and comprehended for what it was..........I don't believe that has been done:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gawd...........I posted rolled eyes:D

5. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

The simple fact is that Scandi and Skagit lines each have there purpose and they tend to overlap a bit. The fact is that on the west coast most guys are fishing on average a 7wt spey rod. Your northern european anglers use on average a 9wt rod. You are not going the throw the crap we chuck in the winter on a 7wt rod with a scandi line. It can be done but thats not the lines purpose and its not gonna look pretty or be any fun. There are to may guys that dont look a fly fishing from a practical standpoint. You will learn how to cast better and more consistently by using a setup that is designed for the application. I use a 12'6 5/6 for floating line scandi work in the summer will standard patterns up to a #1. I use a 13'2 9wt for unweighted tubes and standard patterns up to 3/0 on a scandi line. I use a 13'6" 8wt for throwing chickens with a skagit line, and of course everyone needs a 15' for throwing a 70' head and wearing yourself out in one run. :rofl:

To each his own if you want that 7wt to do everything halfass enjoy.

6. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

I just think that it is in poor taste to pick apart what was intended to be a very simple article for no productive reason what so ever. If they spent half as much effort providing useful information in a non condescending manner as they do correcting people to inflate there ego everyone here would benefit more.

7. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Why knock Brian for trying to help newcomers, myself included for trying to clarify areas of the two-handed hobby?

8. FT

FT Active Member

sotheriwas,

Does a fly tied on a 3" brass tube with a length in excess of 4" qualify as a "rather large fly"? Perhaps an Intruder chucked with a Scandi or even a long-belly (75' - 105' belly) line might qualify as one.

Kerry S,

Right on!

9. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

How far are you gunna' cast that scandi with brush 15 feet behind you?

10. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    So you are saying you can cast a twenty five to fifty grain fly efficiently with a long belly and scandi line? I am not sure how many grains are in a three inch brass tube, but a three inch copper tube is fifty grains (appx 3.2 grams). I would love to learn how to cast them without pushing, not to mention lifting them out of the water. If you could provide some examples that we can learn from, we would appreciate it.

11. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

You are completely missing the point. I'm sure a very experienced caster can make what claim happen. But a Skagit line is a far more efficient and comfortable way to fish those type of flies. I really hope you wear a helmet.

12. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

3" brass tube is 60 grains that more than an 1/8 of and ounce. :eek:

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

My fishing partner casts sink tips and big flies (including large tube flies) with a double taper line with no trouble at all. All he uses is a DT line. The guy is an animal with the circle cast.

14. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

and cavemen used to start fires with sticks :rofl:

15. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher You're only so smart as what you choose to share.

Home Page:
    wow...are you f'in serious?! an intruder on a 70' head?? what are you trying to prove here? i dont even care whether or not you can do it or not. its not about whether or not it can be done, thats not the point. its about learning what lines do what jobs best. talk about confusing the beginning crowd! just keep it simple!! the majority of beginners are intimidated by two handers for this very reason. it helps those learning to just have option A for job A. and option B for job B. and thats it. those who want to learn more have infinite options to learn. who CARES if the "instant expert" crowd thinks that skagit or scandi style lines are the latest greatest thing?!? to them, they very well could be! and who are you to tell them they arent?! if it gets them fishing and they enjoy it, then leave 'em be!
    FT, youre thinking WAY too deep into this. why do you even care about what the beginners are thinking? it sounds like a soft spot for you, how the learning curve is much shorter than it used to be...hell, i wish I HAD the option of these lines when i was making lattes with my windcutter and 9wt! its important for everyone to get a second (or third) opinion on what theyre learning. we all have our peers that we bounce ideas off of around the campfire. those who chose to see themselves as "experts" after only having limited exposure to our passion obviously have other issues they need to deal with...bottom line is to just fish what you have the most fun with. isnt that what its all about? :beer1: