Describe your dream off the beach fly rod

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jim Mcallister, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Discribe your dream off the beach fly rod

Don,

Don't tempt me,
    I haven't cast One,
    I want to>
    Somebody buy my Grampus
    Bamboo on
    the classifieds.

Finance my habit please.

DK

2. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Well I may have fashioned my dream rod .Went out to the shop and gathered up all my old broken rods that I picked up at garage sales and stuff and built a ;frankenrod; .This has 3 sections , the reel seat end is a 9 weight middle is a 7 mediam action and the last foot and a half is the top off of a fast 8 wt .All together adds up to 10 ft .Next I had a cabelas cahill reel not the best but what the hell I got it for free.OK line out to cabelas to use my gift cards .I figured that the tip being fairly lite would handle a 5-6 weight pretty well so I got arole of their Prestige Hypershoot WF6F. After a few casts to get used to the shooting tip I was able to hit 70 feet no trouble. I am pretty sure with a little practice I can get 80 I got lucky the reel seat had a threaded opening in the bottom for the fighting butt that came from another rod.Tomorrow is test day, low slack is at 9;ooam. I probably will not get much sleep tonight in aprehension of all the rezzies that will be pushing each other out of the way to have ago at this thing.Iwill post results hopefully with pictures

3. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Well fished it all day and found very little love, only one take but held him for about 4 sec then came off .I have figured out the extra tip extension is to lite . Oh well back to 9 feet

4. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

13' long
    powerful casts like a 10 wt
    light as an 8.5' 4wt
    fights fish like a 9' 6 wt

looks like i'm out of luck... i'll have to keep fishing my 10' 6 wt or 10' 8wt

5. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Member

Jim: We didn't get a chance to talk about this at the meeting this week, but I'll offer my two cents and it is worth about that. Now the right Sage, an Islander reel with extra spools, and a few Outbound lines would be just fine, but I know you like to be economical. So, let me suggest an 6 wt IM6 graphite blank of 9', or perhaps 10', which you could find on ebay for under $20.00 or so. Who knows what the quality is, but I dare say they will serve well, based on anecdotal evidence. Batson also sells serviceable blanks of that sort at higher cost, but still reasonable.

Then, buy the components - guide set, grip and reel seat - at a good price from ebay or elsewhere and put that rod together. Talk to good old George and George's Rod and Reel Repair in Lacey.

Add a well kept Pflueger Medalist (1495 or 1495 1/2), or the like (rinse it after saltwater use and it will last longer than you do), and some shooting heads you can make from old 8 wt lines. Or, buy some mill end lines cheaply from Mullally's in the UK.

You're in business. You can refine this line of thought no end, but it is credible course to pursue.

6. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

No doubt about it, none.
    Sage 6wt. 9'6 RPL.
    Sea Runs to pinks and with a little skill and a good reel..silvers.:thumb:

Save the 8wt. for bone fish, steelhead and coho in the fall.

Been fishing mine for 25 years with one of the original Lamsons. Thanks Tom Darling!:beer1:

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Well, it's going to have to be my new (used, but new to me) Sage VT2 691-4 and my Lamson V2. I just bought the rod to replace the 6 weight RPL that does not have saltwater components. Next up is a SA Streamer Express 200 grain on my spare spool and I'm in business. :thumb:

8. Frenchie

Frenchie Member

I have been using a Sage 690 xi3, and frankly, i LOVE it.

For strictly searuns or smaller coho, I think I would prefer the 589-4 xi3.... but I'm gunning for the 5110 z-axis right now....

Jon

9. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

I'll give you something entirely different to consider.
    If you're after Searun Cutthroat consider that they are a wild, native trout. They are a special fish that have "soul". They evolved naturally and are "organic".
    I want my rod to be organic and have "soul" too. I've come to the realization that having the latest and greatest new "technology" is not the reason that fishing brings me joy.That's why I fish a handmade Orvis Battenkill Bamboo rod that was built in 1967. It's a 6 wt., is "impregnated" like most Orvis bamboo rods are (it helps protect it against the salt), and it catches fish just fine, as long as "I" am doing what I'm supposed to be doing to catch them.
    Almost all my rods are bamboo and that has added a tremendous amount of enjoyment to all of my fishing. I recommend trying a decent bamboo rod. It doesn't have to be expensive either - the Battenkill set me back $350, and it won't go down in value either.
    Since well over 100 years ago bamboo rods have caught everything from bluegill to Tarpon to Marlin. The fish really don't care what material your rod is made out of, trust me.

10. flyfisherdon

flyfisherdon New Member

Up until last year, I used a 7100 Sage RPL or a GL Loomis GLX1207, but last year I went with 2 Beulahs, one is a 10'6" 6/7, the other is a 11' 8/9, and I am going to try a Beulah 12'7 7/8.
    The 7 weight single handers easily handled Pinks and Silvers, but I didn't want to have to work so hard to get distance , so went for the switch and surf rods.
    don

11. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

I myself is thinking about getting the Sage ONE 6wt 9.5' with FB. And the flyline should always be 1 weight higher that what rod is rated for; is that correct?

12. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I'd say that's a good rule of thumb, but you really should cast one yourself just to be sure.

13. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

My favorite beach rod would be anything I have in my hand that is attached to a fish at the other end! :D

14. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Like Mike said, individual tastes vary. You might prefer a different line weight or taper than I. I have both 6 and 7 weight lines for my Xi2 and ONE. Depending on the size of the fly, wind strength and whether I'm boat or beach fishing, I may use a heavier line. Keep in mind that the weight listd on the rod is the lightest line that will load it, not the heaviest it will tolerate.

For instance, I use a 7wt WF F for poppers on a six wt, usually a 6 wt Outbound short for an intermediate, and a 7 wt sinking Outbound or 250 gr. Striper line for fast water.

15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    My next rod will probably be selected with beach fishing, shooting heads and the $#@&*ing wind in mind.
    For the time being, I'll make do with what I have. Its not the best, but it can get the job done.