Digital cameras again...

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by IveofIone, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

I am trying to find out why I do not go and buy a couple of these for fishing:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3334775

For under $50 I think I may go that route. Tired of dropping my camera and breaking it ...

not cerain if that link works all that well ... it points to a Polaroid 4.1 MP Digital Camera at Wally's Mart

2. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

No zoom on that...

3. mozart

mozart Chris

Has zoom but not optical. From my experience, digital zoom creates very grainy pictures as opposed to optical.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

This is for those people that like to drop their digitals in the water. If you get them back out of the drink. Don't try to turn them on as you will short everything out. Just take out the battery and the card and let it dry out on it's own. After about three days of sitting in the sun you can put everything back in and away you go. I did this with my Olympus Stylus 500 and it was good to go after three days.

Still going strong three years later.

Jim

5. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Josh mentioned that most cameras in a given price range are approximately equal (I'm paraphrasing here). I think that's largely true however, I've found that some cameras are more software friendly than others. Had a nice Olympus (that Shamu drenched with warm saltwater) that shot fine pictures but the menu was always a bit tough to navigate. Replaced it with a Nikon and was very pleased with the navigation. Not to say that one is inherently better than another, but that software can be a big factor to look at. "Is it intuitive?" is a good decision point. Some seem overly complicated and use almost alien language.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I agree with David. The newer digitals are way to complacated(sp) for us older types to understand. It would be nice if they wrote the instructions so one could understand them. With these newer digitals, you can take video with sound, stills with good background They have so many different shooting modes one just can't or don't understand all of it. Well at least I'don't. All I want to do is tske pictures of fish, if I ever catch any that is and you don't really need all those different shooting modes. But they are there.

I tend to babble now and then and I guess that this is one of those times. :beathead: :beathead:

Jim

7. LD

LD Active Member

Recently upgraded from and old Nikon coolpix (served us very well) to a Cannon A710 (more than you want to spend but a great camera. So I would a rec a Cannon in the $150 range, online you can get alot of camera fo the money. You can also find lots of reviews of specific camera's if you norrow it down to a few, I found that very helpful.

8. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Ive, I've got a 1.3 mp Olympus that's about eight years old. It's a point and shoot, with a little zoom. I got a new Olympus 720 which is the waterproof/shockproof guy. My older one has sat idle the past many months. I've got the discs and cords and everything. Works fine, takes AA batteries. You won't win any photo contests with it, but for shooting and sharing pics, it's what I used it for. I use it as a back up now. Interested? Make me an offer, I'll go cheap. If not, cool.

Jeff

9. tkww

tkww Member

Canons make great point-n-shoots. Occasionally Sony, Fuji, others come up with good ones, but the most consistently-decent compact camera maker is Canon by a large margin, IMO. You won't go wrong with a canon is another way of saying that.

If it's possible, try to hold one before you buy it. Some people will find a certain shape or button size or certain whatever just annoying as heck, and it doesn't bother the next person at all. So if you live anywhere near a decent store it's worth holding one first.

I've always been a big fan of Li-Ion batteries because they didn't have the issues of NiMH rechargeables. But now-adays it seems like many Li-ions aren't that big and don't offer anything remarkable for battery life, so AAs become a legitimate option again. I do recommend these instead of the other NiMH rechargeables--and you're going to want rechargeables if you use the camera much at all!:

http://www.amazon.com/Eneloop-Batte...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1186430735&sr=8-2

(I believe they make a two-battery/charger kit too if your camera were to only use two batteries.)

Ordering from B&H isn't a bad idea, but be warned that they're not in the business of helping you make a decision. (IOW, know what you want before you call, or better yet just order online.). Many people order from Adorama as well. I bought my pentax optio WP through Buy.com, and once I got their weekly emails onto my spam list, all went well. ;-) I've also ordered from Beach Camera in NJ with good luck, and from Samy's in SoCal. Ordered a lot of computer stuff from Newegg. :thumb:

Good reviews can be found at:

http://www.dpreview.com
    http://www.dcresource.com
    http://www.imaging-resource.com

I know the latter two have "buying guides" and "picks" lists, etc.

10. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Maybe next time you can note that up front before throwing it down on the back end. Just a suggestion. Regardless, thanks for the .05 on the subject.

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Kinda off topic but sorta on topic.

I just purchased a Nikon D40x. Not the kind of camera this thread is really about but I needed to say I love the thing. I have had a ton of fun shooting pics with this thing over the last few days. I bought a 2GB card for it and can shoot up to 500 pics with the 2GB card and an extended life battery. Pull the trigger and shoot away. Dump it on the 'puter and delete the bad shots, keep the good ones. The fact I can shoot as many pics as I can lets me compose, shoot, recompose and shoot more along with any other setting changes I think may make the shots better. I screw up a lot of shots but I get a lot more good shots to.

Now I will go for a couple of new lenses.

12. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

I was in a big box store yesterday and picked up a digital camera. I chose between a Canon and a Casio (ultra compact variety). The casio by far had the best feel and the interface was very intuitive/lots of great features. The cost was equal. So I bought the Casio on a whim...... I get home and the thing is DOA. Seriously. I've never had such a poor out of box experience.

I'm going back tonight and buying a Canon A710. Bigger than what I wanted but after evaluating my options (SD1000 vs A710), I think the A710 is a nicer camera.

13. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    This makes me wonder if perhaps removing the battery and card and placing the camera in the fridge would work. It's what they tell you to do with cell phones, and I've found that to work. It dries gently by removing humidity. I haven't dropped my digital camera in the water. Yet.

14. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Probably a good point. However, having credentials (or not) doesn't change the fact that what I said is true. Visiting either of the sites I mentioned would have quickly proven that.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    If only this procedure worked for salt water :beathead: