Disturbing versus tonight

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    My recollection is Elvis Presley sent shock waves through my parents' generation. The "duck's ass" haircuts, tee shirt sleeve and blue jeans cuffs rolled up, pants were low slung and here comes rock and roll. The James Dean look was cool. Elvis' wild gyrations on stage and the girls screaming for him were something out of reality. The beatniks were in there somewhere and they hybridized with the folk singing people and that resulted in hippies. Then the Beattles came along with long hair and new sound, drugs became the thing and coupled with the birth control pill, well, things started getting a bit wild. Now it's piercings and tattoo''s and wild hair coloring. Folks just want to feel special, unique, expressive just like the 50's and 60's I guess. Or maybe it started in the 20's with flappers, booze and wild dancing. And somewhere along the way they gave women the right to vote. I guess the only thing constant is change.

As long as folks are respectfully to each other, that is all that matters to me. I've had more "straight" looking people act like assholes on the water than the folks with tat's and piercings. I do hate to see people getting their necks and faces tattooed, that has to hurt and, boy, is it going to look bad in a few years.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

I used to hate loops to loops. Now I use them to attach my leader to my line. Other than that I use the Surgeon knot to attach my tippet to my leader.

And I am an Old Guy.

3. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

The sharks have been turned loose and they are hungry. CA actually has done some good shows and if nothing else we are all in the same boat for the love of the sport.

4. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Maybe i'm too old too, i just frickin hate flat brimmed ballcaps, juuuuuuuust hate 'em, just seems to scream immaturity to me, especially on anybody over 21.

5. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Hey Coach is back! How ya been? We needed you on some of the more contentious threads over the past few years.

6. martyg

martyg Active Member

Interesting thread. And I don't think that it is political at all but speaks to the health of fly fishing as an activity and its broad appeal.

So here's my two cents... I am also in the wingshooting world - and that world is dying partially because the population has one foot in the grave. Companies like Filson and Orvis are well aware of it and are actively looking at ways to broaden their appeal without alienating their core constituent. Look at the publications that service that community - like Shooting Sportsman who I write for - and you'll see a bunch of old white guys. Meanwhile, fly fishing seems to be attracting a young, more active demographic and that demographic is represented in media and advertising. I think that makes the message more inclusive rather than exclusive. Hopefully that will mean that in 10, 20, 40 years the resource will still have a strong advocatcy voice. Wingshooting, fine guns, habitat protection - probably not so much.

We all do ourselves a favor by inviting more people into our tribe than stereotyping them. Alienating people will only serve to harm our collective interests. I want people with piercings and tats and gays and lesbians and Asians and blacks - because it will make our collective voice stronger when policy issues come up, and make the marketplace healthier so we all enjoy a wide range of higher quality products with greater distribution.

As a side note, check "The Secret Lives of Salmon and Gangsters" out the Spring 2012 issue of The Drake. It is the best piece of writing that I have seen in a long time.

Jeff Sawyer likes this.
  7. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

8. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Home Page:
    Good post! I've got a theory - if the older generation understands the younger generation's music, style or slang than the younger generation is doing it wrong.

Lugan likes this.
  9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

I think people that wear flat billed baseball caps are Dork's. At least they look that way to me.

I miss my crying simile.

Brady Burmeister likes this.
  10. Clay Carney

Clay Carney Member

The difference between people who have tatts and those who don't? People who have tatts don't care if you don't have them.

Craig Pablo and Jordan Simpson like this.
  11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I don't have any tats. I never found anything that I wanted permanently stamped onto my body. Most of the tats I see on other people look like shit. No bother to me I could care less if you want cheezy artwork all over yourself.

12. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

I got no problems with tattoos, but I have to admit, I hold them in a different regard than I did when I was young. Tattoos used to mean you were in the military, a biker gang, prison, a hooker, maybe a pirate, or just a general badass. You didn't want to eff with somebody with a tattoo. I guess I liked it that way. There was some sort of sense that they earned it, either for good or bad reasons. Slowly it progressed to the point of Dave freaking Navarro judging a tattoo competition. I respect the art, but it no longer means you're tough as nails. It just means you are 18.

13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

This! I have to admit, I sometimes reflexively look at "those damn kids these days" with a nanosecond of scorn. But then I remind myself that back in the 80's I was in a punk band with black hair and scary black clothing, and I'm pretty sure I looked scary to the 40-somethings of the era.

In other words, I was doin' it rite.

14. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

Most of the kids I take fishing have tats, I make them cover the gang tats when they are out with me as we are representing Clark County not red or blue but I'd rather take some of these kids out fishing with me than some up tight ass who worries about what somebody looks like and neither does the fish! Surprised Evan hasn't chimed in...

Jeff Sawyer likes this.
  15. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

I used to think tatts meant somebody got really really drunk while on leave with their military buddies. Now I think self mutilation has become fashionable. As for gang tatts, I have a different perspective. I think gang tatts should be a shoot on sight indicator for LE. Gangs are of no value to society and a considerable liability. Making gang membership a capitol offense with no appeal works for me. Meanwhile I favor mandatory firearms training for all gang members in hopes they do a better job killing each other and hit fewer innocent bystanders during their drive by shootings. That's about the extent of my thoughts on tatts. What does this thread have to do with fishing?