Do I really have a need?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Oct 8, 2013.

1. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Redington is based on Bainbridge, but most products are actually made overseas. I believe they do their R&D there though. Maybe even some soft goods but don't quote me on that. At any rate, you can just stop by to get warranty stuff swapped out just like Sage.

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Thanks guys. I just looked at the Winston site and those two rods look interesting. Maybe I should check them out also.

Would it be heresy to put a Hardy reel on a Winston, Sage or Reddington rod? Would I need a new SILENT reel to outfit it?
    If so, what should I be looking at?

3. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

grab your 8 wt and go salmon fishing

4. Olive bugger

Good advice.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well, if you get a Winston, you have to come to Twin Bridges in Montana to check them out. It's the only sane way to go. And while your here you could see/visit Sweet Water rods (Bamboo rod makers).

It's just a thought.I ain't looking for any company.

6. Olive bugger

What time do you have supper, Jim?
    :)

I would really like to visit Montana again. I remember meeting a fish in the Yellowstone river and I would like to go back to visit with him/her. It was pushing 20 inches as I recall, but then again, you know how fish grow over time.

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

:)This is great! One reply out of 36 says save the money and the rest basically say, Spend it, it will make you feel good. I bet some of you guys are even baffled by how our national debt can be $16,968,962,000,000!

My philosophy is a simple one: if you have it-spend it. If you don't-don't charge it. Spending what you can't easily afford means a percentage of your income goes to some suit sitting in an office who has left his tract mansion and driven to work in his Bimmer to count your money as it rolls in. Screw that guy, let him work for his money like you did. Pay yourself first.

Ive

8. Olive bugger

Ive, you speak words of wisdom. Not that I have ever had any of that stuff, but sage advice, nonetheless. I probably will stick my money in the sock in the long run. But this has been a profitable fishing expedition for me. OMJ has invited me to come to Montana to fish, and perhaps supper, I learned that Reddington is part of the Far Bank Enterprise consortium, along with Sage and Rio. I did not know that before. I was also introduced to the Winston line of rods, that I was not aware of, nor looking at. So the purchase of a new fly rod is not just idle speculation. It has been a learning journey for me.
    As far as the purchase of a new rod, I would have to divest myself of one of my lesser used ones, in exchange for a new one. That in and of itself, may not be a bad option, but I will have to consider it.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Ive,

Olive didn't say he couldn't afford or have the money for a new rod and reel. Seems like he's just trying to rationalize a place for it in his quiver. That's a far way from being fiscally irresponsible and buying a new toy on credit and then paying interest on it. Olive's biggest problem with gear is that he doesn't seem to know what he wants. That, and he has to have any acquisition validated by Mrs. Olive. Olive has his problems, to be sure, but having fiscal irresponsibility doesn't appear to be one of them based on the information he's provided.

Sg

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Spending what cash you have for a rod is the only way to fly. All my rod buying has been that way. If I don't have the cash I don't buy. It's the same on all things except car buying. I won't ever have the cash up front for that. It's to damn hard to save on a fixed income. I'd be dead before I ever got enough saved that way.

At least this thread has been interesting. And no, I don't feed anybody

11. Olive bugger

Soooooo, I guess supper is off....?

12. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Buy it man !! I need one and you can sell it to me next Spring !!

Olive bugger likes this.
  13. Porter

Porter Active Member

9'6" 6 weight is the do all everything rod of rods, rivers, lakes and oceans...every serious flyfisher person should have one! ;) 697-4 Z-Axis or TCX perhaps...can be found at decent/bargain prices. Ah the Winstons!!!....pretty green are they not? Go to the nearest fly fishing shop and seek and drool over some of the new offerings...One, Method, Radian, etc. .... and while you there walk over to the spotless glass counter and check out those new Bauer Rogues...sweet!! :) Look a little more and u might find a galvan t-6 in green to match that Winston, or a bronze one to match that One...oh oh!!! look at that Lamson speedster... So many choices, so many combinations, so much money....be reasonable and for less than half of a new rod get a 697-4 XP!!!:p and then slap a Bauer M3 on it!