Do you carry a net?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Call, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Of course I always carry a net, but then I almost always fish from a kayak....many fishing kayaks have rod wells behind the cockpit for spin or baitcasting rods.....useless for single handed flyrods.....but the well is a great place to insert the net handle...and makes for very ready access. Just secure the net handle with a stretch cord.

In my stream and river fishing days I rarely carried a net...usually was able to unhook and release the fish without lifting it out of the water. Found that a net usually got tangled up in the brush surrounding these dinky eastern Washington streams....nothing like getting whacked in the back of the head by a bungee powered net.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. The Duke

The Duke Been around

After over a decade of fishing without a net, I finally got one last year. The only time I don't have it now is if I forget it at home. Much easier to land fish promptly and release them unharmed. It also makes it a lot easier to get a photo while fishing alone without adding unnecessary stress to the fish. While I always take care with the fish that I land, the net just makes it a lot easier. A strong magnetic release attached to the D-loop with an elastic cord attached to it and the net, makes it easy to detach and reattach, while not having to worry about a branch catching it and losing it in the brush.

3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I crimp the barbs down on 100% of my hooks, so no need to carry a net to reduce mortality. The hook nearly always just pops out without even handling the fish. I just slide my fingers down the tippet, find the fly, and pop it out.

The only time I carry a net is when I think I'm going to catch the fish of a lifetime and I want to get a picture - and that's rare.

Brett Angel likes this.
  4. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

The guy who lives on the Beaverhead isn't into big fish lol!

5. The Duke

The Duke Been around

The fish of a lifetime can come at any point. During one of my many trips last year I managed to catch a 30 inch bull trout. Glad I had my net. Definitely wasn't expecting it.

6. David Bershtein

David Bershtein Member

Home Page:
    I don't carry a net: I did for years and they were the cause of endless tangles. I try to release most fish without touching them. I don't mind losing a few flies in the process.

7. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Was your net knotless and with rubber mesh? I have yet to tangle a fish up in mine. I've caught the hook in the rubber on numerous occasions, but it has always been easy to dislodge, and never tangled the fish.

8. David Bershtein

David Bershtein Member

Home Page:
    No, I had an old wooden net with knotted mesh. While I am ancient in years, I try new things all the time, and invented a few of my own. What kind of net do you suggest? I will give it a go!

9. underachiever

underachiever !

Sometimes I do. I'd carry one more frequently but I just haven't found a way that is not cumbersome or a hindrance of some sort. I've lost a big fish or two due to the lack of net but losing fish doesn't really diminish my experience.

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  10. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I always carry a net.It means I have to handle the fish far less and it also seems that netting a fish makes the hook pop out automatically most of the time.Just seems to cause less wear & tear to the fish.

11. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Rubber mesh knotless nets are becoming very common now. Try one out. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised. The net you see in my avatar is a knotless ghost net by Brodin. That is what I use and have been very satisfied with. A bit pricey, but very beneficial in my opinion. Good Luck!

12. David Bershtein

David Bershtein Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Duke!

13. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    Steve, I handled that big cutty very nicely, without a net! :)

Attached Files:

McNasty likes this.
  14. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Not true. I know what swims in most of the waters I fish, and some of them are biologically incapable of producing true lunkers.

15. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

So, I would have had better luck if I hadn't had my net? And to think I almost left it in the Jeep.

Derek Young likes this.