Does cold weather affect SRC's?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jason Rolfe, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I've been doing a lot of reading and research in preparation for hopefully getting out and trying for some SRC's soon. One thing I haven't come across, though, is whether or not this cold weather affects the fish. Do they react the same as fish in other waters? Will a cold snap, like we are supposed to have this weekend, put them off the bite?
    It seems like the sound would be a more stable environment and be a little less reactive to weather changes, but really I just don't know. That water is cold year round.
    Any wisdom would be great.
    Jason

2. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

I don't think that the weather has much of an influence on the temps in Puget Sound. Being a branch of the Pacific, it stays pretty constant. I wouldn't think short term weather events would have much of an effect on a large marine body of water.

3. salt dog

salt dog card shark

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Richard,
    Your brevity is appreciated.
    Sounds like the answer is what I expected. I figured since the Sound temp. probably doesn't change much, the fish wouldn't care.
    I guess the question now is, how important are my little toes to me?
    Thanks,
    jason

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yeah...but your fingers will care. You have limited time until you can no longer feel the line with your fingers. The water may not change but the air does. Being on the sound and in these temp conditions will freeze fingers....protect and keep them in the sun as much as possible. Good Luck.

7. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Guys -
    Here is a site that inlcudes some water temperatures (and other parameters) in various sites in Puget Sound -

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/apps/eap/mari...estuarycode=1&theyear=1998&themonth=8&staID=1

In looking at several sites over a 12 month period I see surfaces temps varying from 5 to 10 degrees C. More than one would have thought.

One thing with this cold weather areas with substantial freshwater inputs (Skagit bay, Port Susan) ice can be a problem. Also greater temperature variations in shallow bays than along deeper shorelines.

Good luck
    Curt

8. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

I'm guessing that the change in temps is largely a result of ocean currents?

9. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

I don't know about cold weather effecting SRC's but I hooked two and landed one coho this afternoon. Saw a few more rises too. I would suggest getting out there now, there is not too much beach pressure from anglers because it is so cold and less people walking around to snag on your backcast.

10. westie

westie Member

So after reading this, I was wondering if these fish are sensitive to light at all. Is fishing better in low light situations, or is OK to just go whenever you can get out there?

Jeff

11. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

I hooked mine when the sun was off the water, behind a hill, but a guy I was talking to said he always has had good success around noon. Coho are surface oriented so they may get pushed a little lower but i dont think they are as sensitive to light as other salmonoids.

12. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

The bite is usually the result of tide movement, direction and high/low differential. Also, cutthroat and coho bite best when there is feed in the area. I doubt that time of day in and of itself is much of a factor.
    However, almost every beach along Puget Sound has a few unique tricks to throw at you. Some are best on an incoming tide, others on a dropping tide. The more questions you post here the more homework you will wind up having to work through. The coastal cutthroat trout (would that be SRCCT?) is an incredibly complicated salmonid that rarely provides us with pat answers.
    Good Fishing,
    Les