Dogs and inflatables

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Guy Gregory, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

that's your job, Derek: spoil the dog. Can't overdo it, at least as far as the dog's concerned!:D One of these days I'm going to have to see how my two hounds do in the Clack!

2. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

I've fished a pontoon with both my Brittany and Golden over the years. I covered the back deck of the pontoon with artificial grass covering. You get quite a few looks on a busy lake, but the dogs seem happy to be with you, rather than being back in the truck watching.

However, my new golden who has had a modified upland season at 10 months and a full duck season at a year, might present a problem. I recently took him with me on the Yak fishing Skwalas, and on two occasions he jumped off the bank and retreived the hooked fish. Not exactly what you want in on stillwater.

The other consideration is rowing your pontoon back to the takeout in a headwind with a 70# anchor sitting on the deck.

3. GWJ

GWJ New Member

I've owned a Watermaster and currently have an Assault XX. My 75lb dalmation rides on the rear deck behind the rower's seat. She's got nails like Freddy Kruger but I don't think they'd puncture either boat. I typically lay down a folded up blanket or beach towel for her comfort. I also put her in a life vest both for her safety and also because of the handle that is built into the vest for helping her back in the boat. The nice thing about the Assault XX is when she is with me on the back cargo area, I can throw all my gear and cooler on the front deck.

4. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

Our family dogs seam to always make it in the boat, drift boat, raft kayak. For rafting, make sure to put foam on top of any boxes or coolers to reduce the slippery factor. A life jacke should always be worn by you, and fido likes the life jacket as well, or at least the humans like the handle on top to easily yard the wet mess back in the boat when they take an expected or unexpected dip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]