Don't bother On the stilly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TROUTsniffer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

that's a whole side i didn't even bring up and another thing MOST on here are chiming in have no clue about because they simply don't know... I made the thread to give people a heads up that fishing on the stilly may suck this weekend and INSTANTLY everyones on the trigger to defend defend defend and i must be wrong when they have no clue....

2. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    This is already good.

aplTyler and Kcahill like this.
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Where's the pop corn................................................

4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I agree, the level of arm chair ignorance on the issues, the resources, the rights, etc... is either entertainment or downright shocking. I will happily call the two trout handle folks here ignorant, they probably grew up with a dad like mine who ranted and raved about the "Indians", their dammed rights and the worst offender of all Judge Bolt. Because of this I also grew up painfully ignorant and temporarily pissed myself at people I truly knew nothing about. Then this amazing thing happened called education and truth. It's insane how reading can actually help you become honestly enlightened and you learn to stay flexible in your perspectives. I guess though because I decided in college (yes, I'm college educated) to study the truth of Native American relations with our government through history that I'm just an elitist prick. Isn't that how ignorant people usually argue against people with a broader base of knowledge then them?

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

You can't win against ingnorance and bigotry. Save your breath or in this case your keyboard.

6. underachiever

underachiever members only

I think this is what you meant to say.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I think Kerry nailed this one. I guess I'm surprised at the degree of ignorance expressed by Trout sniffer and Trout pounder. Maybe they're new to fishing, but most people who've been fishing for a while understand at least a bit of the law and the history associated with treaty fishing, whether they agree with it or not.

Sg

8. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

And I won't eat any salmon from any river unless maybe smoked by me. Raised on fresh salt water fish, once they hit fresh water they take on the muddy taste, if anyone has a recipe for getting the mud taste out please post it

Patrick Gould likes this.
  9. Robert Fyall

Robert Fyall Member

10. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

actually i suspect MOST people here have seen this debate fire up at least once a year on this forum, and contrary to having "no clue" about it, are bored to death with listening to utterly meaningless statements like "that argument is fucking stupid" from people who've never seriously considered any input on the issue that does not agree with their own hand-me-down perspective.

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I've got no problem with using salmon to barter for stuff. I do have a problem with monitizing a "cultural" activity. If you wanna commercial fish, go commercial fish, if you want to subsistence fish, great, do it, but they are totally different activities, for different purposes. Selling the resource leads to abuse of the resource, and because there is no government oversight possible with the tribes this is a bad deal, for all involved.

12. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Ak, you just described free market trade from the dawn of time, including subsistence living. If you think for a second that barter was not part o native traditions... Kerry I think you were right wasted key board time.

Skeena88 likes this.
  13. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Note to anyone who rants against the Tribes and the Bolt decision: nothing is going to change by your profanity filled posts. Our best course of action is to work hand in hand with the tribes to get enough fish back for all to share. Bottom line is they want the salmon runs to flourish just as we do. We need them as an partner to fight river degradation and development of critical salmon habitat. I don't know about the Stilliguamish tribe specifically but a lot of the tribes have lots of political power and influence. Better to jump on board than get left holding the bag. How do you think the tribes feel when they see 100 anglers on both sides of the river flossing salmon left and right. They probably say "how the he'll are those fish supposed to make it up stream! Just food for thought

SCARBOO

flybill and dflett68 like this.
  14. jwg

jwg Active Member

Gill nets are not selective.

On rivers where endangered stocks are present while the legal stock is being fished for, nonselective gill netting can kill endangered stocks.

I dont know if this is the case on the Stillie.

It appears to be an issue worth considering on the Columbia, however.

15. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

How irritated would you be if you saw 100 Troutsniffers with rods/poles there?