DON'T BUY CND RODS

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by kamishak steve, May 1, 2012.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

well for one the Sage 9140 brownie well it's a very poor rod,, it folds under it's own weight and is a poor example of what I would call a full flexing heavy tipped rod...

Now lets get something straight.. a tip that is strong is also going to be heavy.. there is no way around it because the way a tip is made stronger is by putting more graphite into it thus adding weight... the problem with the sage 9140 is that the bottom end of the rod has no guts... though not a great rod the St croix Imperial 9140 of the same vintage was a much better rod...

the purpose of a tip on a spey rod ( by tip i mean the top half of the rod) is to push the load down into the butt of the rod so that a larger amount of graphite can be used to generate energy.

In the picture posted above.... notice that the tip of the rod is very nearly straight! the load has been pushed down into the lower portion of the rod.... that generates a lot more energy than a rod where only the tip flexes...

2. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

True that the brownies are pretty soft, but I had my good moments with it. My first effort, though, was with a SA XLT Spey cut back with a 15' type 6 sink tip and not a single casting lesson or moment spent with another person with a spey rod. I'd never even seen a person cast a 2-hander. Talk about a disaster...

3. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    thanks for chipped in and play gentlemen... I am sure the answer will surprise many people.

Here it is: SAGE TCX 7126 a.k.a The Death Star. if you cast one, you know how light it is, yet, powerful enough to handle T17, I think James got a closest answer! :) Mark

Note to Trevor, it was regular underhand cast,high stop.

Another semi-loaded photo

[​IMG]

Full loaded
    [​IMG]

SanFranFlyFish likes this.
  4. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Skagitmiester

Home Page:
    TCX 7126

5. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

What is it lined with? Certainly a middle of the road 7wt. in grains or whatever. Correct? And, are you fishing or trying to make a point with those pics?

Anyone can reproduce that by overlineing a rod.

Oops, question should go to yuhina, not Wadecalvin.

6. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Rolf,

Just let you know I never overlining any rod. In fact, this is "light lining" the TCX to create a crispy feel. Go cast a TCX 7126 and you will understand what I mean. We have stated the "line momentum" play a major role on the rod load through out the whole thread (not the rod tip mass).

What is my point to post this rod action photo? The point being ...Don't just wiggle a rod to test the rod action, cast a rod with a line to determine the action. You will be surprised how many "tip too light" rods actually are deep flex action.

BTW,("Semi-loaded" photo is used to show you how the rod bend with a small friction of line momentum)

Just for fun, take a guess what line weight I was using for this TCX 7126?

1) 320 grain

2) 430 grain

3) 480 grain

4) 600 grain

Cheers,

Mark

fredaevans likes this.
  7. Verne

Verne Member

You can make a rod bend like that without a line if you swing it back and forth hard enough.

Klickrolf likes this.
  8. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Yeah, I suppose you can, but wouldn't it require more sweat from one's brow to fish like that? When lined I don't think you can get the energy back out through those light tips, you can get the energy in but you can't deliver as much back out on the delivery.

9. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

here is the problem manufacturers know more about their products than customers do.... many rods can safely be overlined while others cannot.. it is one thing to add a few grains to accentuate the action of a rod it is another thing altogether to change the action of a rod by overlining it.. if you want a rod that will cast a heavier line buy a heavier rod... the notion that it's ok for someone to buy a rod and then lead it to suit their preference is wrong. load it do the manufacturers recommendation or make no complaints when the product fails...

some rods are designed to cast off the tip adding more grains to the line in order to make the rod load deeper is a BAD idea what happens when you do that is very little of the extra load is transferred deeper into the rod but the top end of the rod becomes overstressed.

there is more to the equation than how you want the rod to feel..until you understand the structural integrity of a rod you shouldn't presume to know more than the manufacturer.

10. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Interesting. The Poul Bock article from the GGAC suggest that with respect to Skagit, this isn't the case. His favorite line setup for the T&T 1307 is apparently a RIO 650 skagit! Personally I am more inclined to your beliefs, but there are others that apparently don't follow the same ideas!

11. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:

The answer is 1) 320 grain on TCX 7126.
    Images were screenshots captured from the video above.
    Overlining?! Okay, I will use a lighter line next time! :p

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Back before anyone figured out grain weights and stuff we used the old formula of 3 to 3.5 times the length of the rod minus the tip length for bellies. You would play with the length and the weight of level line used to make the belly (12 wt, 14 wt, 16 wt) until you found the sweet spot. If the rod broke during this process, you didn't buy that rod again. If the rod didn't perform the way you wanted it to, again, you didn't buy that rod anymore. Pretty simple. During this time I don't remember many rods breaking because they were stressed. I do remember rods getting passed from one guy to another because they didn't fit a particular person's casting style. Again, sure seemed simple back then.

rustybee, yuhina and James Mello like this.
  13. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Interesting, Kerry. Cooperation and trading, it's always been a hallmark of swingers :).

Go Sox,
    cds

rustybee likes this.
  14. James Mello

I wished there were multiple likes... That's awesome Kerry.

15. James Mello

what happened if two guys wanted the same rod.... now that's just starting to sound......