DON'T BUY CND RODS

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by kamishak steve, May 1, 2012.

1. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I was a big fan of CND from the beginning, owning a 1510-3 Expert, 15'-2" Solstice, and a 13' BS. In fact, I liked the Black Spey, which was a custom build, so much I ordered a blank (one of the last three remaining) and had Steve Godshall build me an exact copy. Knowing full well that I may never be able to get replacement blank sections at any price.

I have to agree that CND relations, at least here in North America, have gone down the tubes since Snake River Outfitters dropped them. It's too bad. I've been told the trickle down effect from the earthquake/tsunami has really hit Japan hard. Not offering excuses, just that's the was it is. And, like Salmo_g, there was a time when I too entertained the idea of becoming a CND rep. Not the sole distributor for the whole of NA, but maybe the west coast. Even then, that's a lot of ground for one person to cover. Especially when you don't have a full line of rods to offer. If CND is to recover and maintain a presence in NA, I think they will need to develop a different marketing strategy, not to mention customer service.

2. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

TRUE. However sum U.S. companies have rods made overseas---as long as its a U.S. company I would consider purchasing a rod from them..
    Same w/reels. Unless we are talking british made treasures of old;)

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Ok, let me play devils advocate for a second here..

First off, these "lifetime warranties" IMHO mean your paying 900 bucks for a rod (i.e. sage, loomis etc.) valued less but with said warranty..

Second, you fished the rod for 7 years, it broke, they don't have a distributor here now, don't make the rod but offered you a new rod for $312, I believe was the final cost?

That to me again, MHO...is not a bad deal...Half off on a new rod to replace something you fished hard for 7 years isn't that horrible in my book...Especially when you look at, say waders and such...

If I had a rod I liked as much as you seemed to like yours and fished it that long...broke it and was offered an upgraded one for half off..I would tell that company..."Thank you very much" and jump on it..but maybe that's just me...

4. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    I agree with Golf.

on another note. I'm headed to Japan in September....any orders? LOL

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Not true, Sage has an upgrade price unless you stick with original model. Of course if the old one is not in stock, they will roll a new one for the $50 S/H cost, but depending on production that could take weeks.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

KS,

Yeah, I think Nobuo isn't offering the same upgrade deal I and others got after our Customs broke repeatedly. I think I paid the price difference between my Custom and the Solstice (a little over $100) after the Custom was discontinued. At first I wasn't totally enthused because I really liked the Custom, and it was more money out of pocket, but it didn't take long to fall in love with the Solstice, and I never gave it another thought. I made a mistake above regarding my 8/9, it's an Expert model, not Custom. I had the Custom 7/8, which was very popular, but everyone I know who had it, except one person, had them break multiple times.

At least you got 7 years out of your Custom, but I think Nobuo should give you a better break on an upgrade since the Custom line had so many problems.

Sg

7. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

The rod they are offering me is far from half off. The former distributor is offering the same rod for 440 bucks. 317 is far from half of 440. I had to haggle with the guy to get that price. He initially insisted that 350 bucks was the lowest he would go.
    I didn't fish it hard, and it broke because of what is now a widely known manufacturer defect. More than half the people I've spoken with that had the same rod had the same experience. For a defective product, the warranty should replace the item for free.
    if I buy something with a warranty, I expect that warranty to mean something, not to be at the whim of the owner of the business. I think a manufacturer has a responsibility to uphold those warranties, american distributor or not. How would you like it if the next time you broke your sage, they told you they wouldn't repair or replace it, but instead offer you an 'upgrade' at 75 % percent of retail for their most expensive model. To me that's bad business...

hawg hunter likes this.
  8. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

rod used for 7 years that is not a manufacturer defect. manufacturer defect will show up immediately or nearly so. I won't speak to the warranty service . However building a new tip would be easy to do, maybe not an exact match but certainly close and again better than the garbage can. probably cost around a hundred bucks though...

PM me if you are interested

9. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

It's too bad that the customs had such a problem with breakage. You never hear anyone complain about how they cast, though. I have an 8/9 custom, and I've just decided to regard it as a 7/8, an interpretation the upper half of the rod somewhat supports. I wish CND could find some way to make it economic to operate in the states & canada. Sad to see these kinds of troubles. I don't imagine selling spey rods is the easiest way to make a buck.

It's pretty cool that there is a shop with the talent and willingness to reverse engineer a tip from another manufacturers rod. I'd have to seriously think about Rob's offer. I don't know if you own any Burkies or have had any interaction with them before, but they are great to work with.

10. kamishak steve

The rod had broken 2 other times before in the exact same spot. Both by casting. Both without any damage, abuse or hit with a fly. That is definitely a manufacture issue. After speaking with many other people on this site and others, it was typical of the rod. Apparently the rods were not very well field tested and one of the reasons for their discontinue was because of breakage/warranty issues.

11. kamishak steve

This terrible experience was a blessing in disguise. I have no money, but I'm working with R.B. Meiser to create a replacement. What a cool dude...

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Glad to hear you have a Meiser option in the works. Pretty cool to learn about a possible Burkie option from Rob too, cuz that Custom 7/8 surely was the bees knees for casting when it wasn't breaking.

Sg

13. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

14. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

That is very cool KS...and your right, he is a very cool guy...Rob too for stepping up...Now you won't get a lifetime warranty with their rods but you might make lifetime friendships....
    Pretty good stuff..

15. kamishak steve

That's the same thing I filled out!!!!!