Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jack Devlin, Feb 20, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

The wife's been getting these as our Sunday night British series....watched many different ones over the years, but I've been having a hard time getting into this one. But, now that I know Jesse is starring in it, and that it has some fly fishing scenes (missed that episode), I'll be sure to watch.

2. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Sadly, the fishing scenes in Downton Abbey and Foyles War are few and short. But, fun to watch and nit pick.:)
    Jack

3. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Damn. Sorry I missed it.
    A few months ago another forum member and I were discussing what this years episodes might bring. There was some indication that Foyle might be heading to America for unexplained reasons. My hope is that some fishing may be store. The Catskills were in full swing as a fishing destination at that time. I think a visit to the Leonard shop would be in order to solve the case of the missing rod beveler.

TC

4. Jack Devlin

The Catskills - my old stomping grounds - aka "The Charmed Circle".

5. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    This would be a tough crowd to depict a period fly-fishing film for. Though you can see who the consultants would be:

Tweed outfits- jesseCFowl
    Reels- WW
    Catering- Jerry D
    Bamboo-?
    Budget oversight- Kent Lufkin
    Site Scout- Tim Cottage
    Wooden sculptures- Jack

I'd probably have a band of feral orphoned East End blitz kids living lord of the flies style, terrorizing the landed gentry, representatives of the Church of England, and "public schoolboys who play rugger and cricket" and anyone able bodied who isn't fighting the Hun in some manner...

The kids would of course be bonded together by their love of poaching, their ability to customize fly fishing to suit their survivalist ends, and constant run ins with a psychotic trio of Nazi and kid hating Scottish Gameskeepers and gillies known as Angus, Robbie and Lachlan McLaughlan. These old canny shotgun toting ornery bastards would be played by Kerry, Roper, and Itchy Dog. Itchy would get all the slapstick and one liners...their overlord and mastermind would be Lady Tartan McSporrin, played by Sue with Godfatheresque bluntness...

You'd root both for and against the kids who are t times both lovable and super annoying...

6. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Boot
    I think you would have to appoint Tom Bowden for Bamboo as he has by far the most hands-on bamboo history on this site.

Jack
    I was a bit further south in the Poconos. Broadhead, Bushkill, McMichaels, etc.

TC

7. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
  8. Jack Devlin

Paul,
    I meant to comment on your post about the hat and feathers in another thread.
    I would love to have one of those hats. I'm sure some of the feathers would be impossible to find nowadays. Great stuff and I bet they were authentic, period hats.

Your comment, and that of other posters as well, about the casting prowess demonstrated during the brief salmon fishing scene got me thinking. I wouldn't be too surprised if the poor casting wasn't actually quite authentic. The very trip to the castle in Scotland was really a big deal in those days. It required almost moving the whole household. So, I don't think they did it too often. Once or twice a year???? I wouldn't expect that they would be the most competent fly casters as, say, you and I;) . Also, the Ghille did all the work and, much like in the shooting scene, he just handed the shotgun/rifle/rod to the "lord" to shoot/fish. After they finished fishing, the Ghille just took the rods and that was that. Time to return to the castle and dress for dinner. Just some thoughts.
    Jack

Kent Lufkin and Paul Huffman like this.
  9. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
  10. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Active Member

OOPs! I was trying to find the Washington Fly fishing (WFF) site and stumbled onto this TV/PBS discussion group. Can someone dirst me to WFF?

Dr Bob

Paul Huffman likes this.
  11. Jack Devlin

12. Jack Devlin

If someone posts a thread on "Call the Midwife", I'm OUTA HERE!:eek:
    Jack

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. BriaaNeal5

BriaaNeal5 New Member

Home Page:
    It's a great show, I'll agree. I tend to watch a lot of TV shows; it's a pretty good way to pass time.

14. Bob Anderson

Bob Anderson Member

I just finished Season #3 last week. I got hooked about two months ago. It's easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. I recommend it to all.

Jack Devlin likes this.