Drift Boat Age

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by A.A., Nov 13, 2016.

1. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

Penobscot, Bjorn and Buzzy like this.
  2. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

Well, despite all your good advice...I've just set myself up for the heartache of which you forewarn. Estimated build date is 1/16/17. My wife was the best salesperson of all..."Just get a new one so you can get the boat you want". Ok, I guess so, twist my arm.

I looked at getting a used boat and adding the features I would use. It turns out that adding features to an old boat costs more than adding it to a new boat. For example: I got a quote to add a front heater and baffle/tray to a used boat...$800. To add the same feature while building a new boat cost me $540. Part because of the extra labor involved in retrofitting, and part because they cut you a break off MSRP as a new boat package. The best deal of all would be to find a barely used boat with all the features you want and a paint job you like. Never found one in over 6 months of looking, so I'll be the dummy with the shiny new boat, not catching nearly as many fish as the old boat guys. Will be awesome!

jake-e-boy and River Pig like this.
  3. Ray

Ray Active Member

Full level is much better. It makes a big difference in foot/leg fatigue. No opinion on the cut down bow.

A.A. likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray Active Member

For the record, on a new Willie, the UHMW on the bottom is the shizzle. 100x better than coat-it or glove-it.

5. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

I ended up doing UHMW bottom, and front and rear level floors. I decided against the cut down bow. It's not a big cost, but I just like the look of the longer taller stern. I can't imagine it making a real big difference. The guys in my boat can watch their own dang bobbers.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  6. Penobscot

Penobscot Active Member

IMG_0221.JPG Congrats AA on the Willie. My tale was similar to yours, almost bought used, wife said buy new, so $15,000 later.

jake-e-boy and A.A. like this.
  7. Penobscot

Penobscot Active Member

IMG_0259.JPG Interior Shot

A.A. and jake-e-boy like this.
  8. Penobscot

Penobscot Active Member

But that 2015 Willie has floated the Wilson, The Clackamas, The Sandy, The Williamson, The Wood, The Kilchis, the NF Lewis, and with the motor on Swift, Merwin, Yale, Upper Klamath, Hosmer, Crane Prarie, Diamond Lake, The Willamette, Takhlakh Lake,Krumbo, Fish Lake, Coldwater Lake, Merril Lake, Davis Lake, and it has crabbed in Nehalem Bay, Netarts Bay, and at Waldport.

All of that in two years, and I still get accused of not using it enough by my buddies.

You'll love the Willie

Simply The Best

A.A. and jake-e-boy like this.
  9. Penobscot

Penobscot Active Member

IMG_0325.JPG Pick up Day in Central Point

A.A., jeff bandy and jake-e-boy like this.
  10. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

Awesome boat! Mine is supposed to be done sometime next week. They just sent me some pics yesterday...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I'm doing grey paint with red logo. I've always loved that color combo. Looked at lots of pics on google images and found JP's guide service's DB in WA. It looks awesome so I'm going with that look for the paint.

Hey Penobscot, few questions for you...
    1) What are you using between your motor and transom?
    2) Do you trailer your boat with the motor on?
    3) What do you use for fly rod storage?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Penobscot likes this.
  11. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Active Member

I love the looks of your boat, as well as your wheels on the trailer. I think they really pop with all of the rest of the aluminum.

Penobscot likes this.
  12. Penobscot

Penobscot Active Member

1. The Back has Diamondplate and Willie Gave me a rubber mat that it sits on(I bought the 8hp Yamaha from them) but they'll give you one if you ask.
    2. Yes, over some terrible roads.
    3. I added the fly rod tubes to the front(look on the website) they are functional and look cool. I can also lay ones on the side rail, out the back or on the rack in the picture, but as you know, they than catch flyline while casting.
    Also recommend the Sawyer Squaretops.

13. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

I already have them putting in two rod tubes. I'm doing one facing forward and one facing back like on a lot of the fiberglass boats, so both guys can grab and stow their own rods. I'm hoping the reels just lay on the side trays. Getting the square tops with standard dynelites. Good info on the rubber mat. Weather has been crazy and rivers high and brown. Hopefully things will come together to get out next week.

14. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

Another thought...
    A friend of mine mentioned he added his DB onto his homeowner's ins. He said they put it in the same category as a sailboat and it's very inexpensive compared to adding it to your auto ins. Any experience out there with this?

jake-e-boy likes this.
  15. Penobscot

Penobscot Active Member

Yes, I did the same,
    very cheap, like $150 a year or something.

jake-e-boy likes this.