Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Drifting in lightning

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Last Action Freddie 
#1 ·
My friend just got a Driftboat so we are fairly new to the drift boat fishing game. A lot of our rivers around here and Idaho and Montana can have some pretty good thunder and lightning storms. So my question is: what is your threshold for getting off of the water for safety's sake? Is it based on hearing thunder seeing lightning or proximity of lightning? Or are you not concerned?

#4 ·
Yeah I was expecting some answers like that. But you couldn't do better than that? Makes me think of Mickey Rourke in Barfly when he says " is that all you've got? Maybe you better dial for help ". You have to see it

#3 ·
If you can't get to a car or building, stay away from shore. Almost everything on the river is higher than you. If it gets close, stop and anchor up. Don't touch anything, stay low.

Lakes are a different story, get the hell out!

When I was in Florida, we were told "if you can see it, it can hit you".

#5 ·
Thanks Jeff. I guess I don't understand stay away from shore. Wouldn't it be better to be on shore where things are taller than you been to be on the river where you were the tallest thing on the river?

#6 ·
I was on Pilchuck Creek one time and it clouded up and started Thundering and little lights flashing in the sky. I was using a graphite rod. I quickly broke it down and carried it laying flat with the earth. I heard about those fly rods attracting lightening. I got soaking wet and got the hell out of there.

#7 ·
I have been in horrendous lightning storms on rivers, rods down flat, get close to shore and wait it out. Now windstorms on the Granby River, they scare the crap out of me. Black cottonwoods and wind are not a good thing especially when Beavers are working the banks. When a hundred foot Cottonwood decides to come down , they impress the hell out of a person. The last one that came down almost made a believer out of me and that takes a bit of doing. :D

#8 ·
I have been in horrendous lightning storms on rivers, rods down flat, get close to shore and wait it out. :D
Thanks psycho. We have done the sit and wait on the bank thing many times before when wading hiking fishing rivers. Recently when drift boating and some thunder and lightning we noticed that other boats didn't seem to be as concerned so we're wondering if it was OK to stay on the river. Our instinct was to get off the river and have a drink

#10 ·
Don't over think it. There are plenty of other things that will kill you on a river before lightning! My biggest fear when running my boat is log jams. On one occasion on the Hoh river, I had to chainsaw my way through three log jams to make it to the take out. we didn't get off the river until after one in the morning.

Pack lots of safety gear. You have a boat, you have the room to take lots of extras. It's a good idea to pack a spare anchor with line and a canoe paddle if you can't bring an extra set of oars. That shit jest might save you life one day.

Also if you must hit a logjam, run into it as fast as you can with the bow it just might break apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Chainsaw is definitely on my must pack list! especially when fishing the wild rivers of the coast. Mainly when rivers are starting to come back after being blown out, it's always nice being the first person back to a river.

As far as hitting log jams, I've only had to do that as a last ditch effort, after a series of mistakes that had put me into a situation I didn't want to be in.
The first time I was in one of these oh shut situations, I broke through a bunch of wrist size branches and made it through the jam. The second time I wasn't quite so lucky. Because I had speed I was able to get the boat partially up onto the logjam. Then we use the chainsaw to break apart the logjam just enough to get the boat through.

Don't overthink things. Don't be scared to stop and look at an obstacle. Hell I even do that on the Yakima.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I guess someone has to be the first to down the river after high water. I think I'll save that for more experienced guys like you. A log jam would be a scarey and dangerous situation.

I made a mistake with a sweeper on my very first river outing and we were lucky to get out of it. I'll never make that mistake again. It's away better to scout first.

#17 ·
If it hits the ridge above the river I'm getting out of the boat and sitting down or anchoring and staying still.

If your friend just bought the Drifter, running it every outing and knowing how is way more important then lightening every once in a while! Hopefully your friend was taught and has rowed many rivers before he bought the boat----Having a driftboat and thinking you can "JUST DO IT" is way more dangerous then a day with some lightening.

As as friend and going with him you should learn how to read water for the boat also so you can be watching further down the river while your friend is dealing with the rapid he is in. When first learning someone needs all the help they can get so help him out! I have taught a lot of people how to run Driftboats and it is not easy....Many downed boats over the years have come from experienced rowers letting their friend take the sticks on mild rivers when all of a sudden they are sideways and swimming..... stay safe!!!!

#19 ·
If it hits the ridge above the river I'm getting out of the boat and sitting down or anchoring and staying still.

If your friend just bought the Drifter, running it every outing and knowing how is way more important then lightening every once in a while! Hopefully your friend was taught and has rowed many rivers before he bought the boat----Having a driftboat and thinking you can "JUST DO IT" is way more dangerous then a day with some lightening.

As as friend and going with him you should learn how to read water for the boat also so you can be watching further down the river while your friend is dealing with the rapid he is in. When first learning someone needs all the help they can get so help him out! I have taught a lot of people how to run Driftboats and it is not easy....Many downed boats over the years have come from experienced rowers letting their friend take the sticks on mild rivers when all of a sudden they are sideways and swimming..... stay safe!!!!
Thanks to all for the info from everyone -- sounds like basic common sense applies.

We've floated a bit before, but I will confess that our approach this trip on bigger water (sf snake) than we've done previously was basically "JUST DO IT" ... along with a lot of input from fly shop guides of what hazards to look out for - which was essential. Also some PMs from folks here - much appreciated (and some You Tube instruction). I agree based on this experience that JUST DO IT could get you into danger real fast. I also feel like I learned an incredible amount of what to look for and how to respond and how the boat handles and how forceful water works. I'm glad that I spent so much time at the sticks and got to be the one to experience the majority of pre-identified hazards -- I forgot how rewarding it is to learn new skills. And a new era starts ...

Reactions: Drifter
#18 ·
On the Madison a number of years back, I could see a pretty ominous looking system rolling my direction. I found some reasonably slack water on the leeward side, put the Southfork on shore with all the lightening getter items, and walked away back into some willows, and hunkered down. On river floats, we usually we have plenty of warning to take action and get out of harms way... being in the middle of a huge lake or on the open ocean, not so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.