NFR Drone Quadcopters - Anybody Here Fly Them?

Krusty

Nope, not referring to any use for fishing. I used to fly an RC helicopter, but got tired of endlessly replacing parts due to my inept flying skills.

I'm intrigued by the claim they are much easier to fly, more durable, plus being capable of airborne photography.

And yes, if I end up buying one I agree with your right to shoot it out of the air with weapon of choice should I fly near your sacred personal airspace.

Big Rob

Not flown any myself, but my 16yo nephew has a DJI Mavik Pro he uses to shoot HD real estate photography.
Started a business with it and is doing well.
A coworker also has the Mavik Pro and he flies it across Lake Tapps.

racing drones are badass butt have a steep learning curve. i did a bunch of research this winter. I used to race RC dirt trucks, so i was thinking about getting back into it.

they use FPV goggles, (first person view)., and they go FAST. but, you need good computer and electrical skills to build, program, and operate them. most people buy frames and build the components of there choice. there is lots of techincal detail about what works well with what, parts wise.

Kfish

I used to fly all sorts of RC, still have some fixed wings in the garage, flew helicopters too.
I know what you mean, with every crash that's almost like a total rebuild.
Have not tried the drones other than some cheap toy ones my son has but it seems fun. For now I'll stick to fishing with the little amount of free time that I have.

Lou

Josh

dead in the water
The recent quadcopters are silly easy to fly compared to traditional RC planes/copters. I have an older DJI drone that I mess about with from time to time and even with my crappy skills (and the older drone's lack of collision avoidance tech) I'm able to fly it around easily. Sometimes I think about getting a DJI Spark, but I don't really have time for filming projects and I don't know that I care enough about drone flying as a hobby in and of itself.

My kids and their cousins all got these little toy drones for xmas this year. They are tiny, a little difficult to get the controls zeroed, and have short flight times. But for $26, they are fun to fly around in the house and would give you a sense of what it's like to fly the bigger/nicer ones.

weiliwen

That Mavik Pro looks pretty cool, as do all of the DJI offerings, but yes, pretty spendy. I saw a cool video of a drone flight along a flooded river in the Driftless Area last summer; the bird's eye view was great.

However, like Kfish, I have enough hobbies to fill my day, and more, so will probably be content to watch others' videos.

I picked up a Yuneec Q500 4k for a fraction of a price of a Mavic Pro, and it works great. $399 Brand new off Ebay, with extra batteries and an aluminum carry case. It also comes with the hand mount so you can use the 4k camera with the gimble to film on ground level, and it has flying modes like "follow me".

If I didn't spend so much time fishing I would probably be making cool edits and flying it more often. Overall super easy to fly and control, and a great starter if you are looking for a quality drone that takes great photos and video.

dibling

I watched a drone racing event at the GE2 in Seattle in September. It was absolutely riveting. 20 minutes of carnage, pit stops and high-adrenaline moves. Highly recommend.

nomlasder

I also have an older Phantom II. Once properly set up, compass calibration, flying is simple. The navigation system locks onto more than 6 satellites for GPS orientation. With your hands off the stick, it will hover in the same spot while compensating for cross wind. Home command will fly it right back where it started.
They have gotten very sofisticated with chart navigation and self following attributes.

I follow visual flight rules, meaning I keep it in sight. Even my older model has a huge range, 2000 ft high and 1/2 mile out. And I don't fly it around other people out of respect.