NFR Drone Quadcopters - Anybody Here Fly Them?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Krusty, Dec 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

yep, its growing fast, leagues are forming ,etc.

but i want to emphisize, these racing drones are NOT easy to fly like a mavic or other photography drone. they use different control systems.

dibling and Krusty like this.
  2. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Home Page:
    I love my Mavic Pro. I can literally land it on a dime. It packs down small, makes far less noise, flies longer, and takes great photos/videos. I use it for mapping lakes and sometimes streams out here in the desert. It also works for scouting out side ponds for carp. I do launch it from my big boat regularly and I think I could launch it from the cargo deck of my pontoon boat. Pram would be no problem. Even a stand up paddleboard would have enough space.

Krusty and MrP like this.
  3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I don't know a damned thing about anything RC. I once bought one of those tiny helicopters and managed to keep flying it into a wall and breaking the sucker... so I gave up. RC ain't my thing... I went back to flyfishing.

However, as it turns out my older brother owns Trump's Hobbies here in Corvallis. They specialize in anything RC...
    including drones. If you want the shops number I'd be happy to provide it for you plus the name of a contact who works with my brother who knows everything my brother knows and is very free with info. What I know about flyfishing he knows about RC.

I'd be happy to provide contact info if you'd like.

Krusty likes this.
  4. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

How long did it take for you to feel comfortable flying your 1st drone?

5. Jiminsandiego

Jiminsandiego Active Member

I shelled out $150 for a Traxxis Alias. Not good for photography or "first person view" but tons of fun, and good for learning before buying a Mavic or Spark. It seems that you can either get a photography drone (Mavic) or get into the FPV racing drone (or both). Like digital cameras 15 years ago the advances are happening at an alarming pace. As soon as you get one it will be outdated, but a Mavic for instance is going to be hard to beat for photography and some of those ready to fly FPV racing drones sure do look like fun. The potential for these things is enormous. Think about a wheel chair bound person being able to fly his drone out the window and survey his property, or follow a water skier or explore, from the air, the streams, forest and mountains in his neighborhood. These things are going to change our world. I say go for it.

Krusty and Ron McNeal like this.
  6. MattB

MattB Active Member

Home Page:
    Would you say you could spot a fish over 24" in holding in clear water with the controller screen?

7. Matt Paluch

Home Page:
    I'm very comfortable using new technology whenever I have the chance. I was comfortable using my first drone (DJI Phantom 3 standard) in tight quarters after about 5 flights. I was far more comfortable using the Mavic Pro from the first flight, it just works better and holds position better.
    The controller screen doesn't show the camera view, just flight information (altitude, distance, battery, etc). I could spot trout in clear water from 50' up on Rocky Ford pretty easily on my iphone 7plus screen. Probably could do the same on the smaller iphone too.

Krusty and Ron McNeal like this.
  8. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Thanks for all the info! Especially to the forum member who PM'd me how to rig up a drone so I can finally achieve my dream of making 100 ' casts!

Salmo_g likes this.
  9. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Didn't they re-name it Don's Grab N Golf?

Krusty likes this.
  10. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Krusty likes this.
  11. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

So I build them from scratch. My current racing quad tops out at about 80 mph (with the right battery and props) The ease of flying them is all about the flight controller. Mine is on a bread board and cost about 25$ but it's mostly manual flight. You can load different firmware, flight algorithms, esc refresh rates etc.
    I have a 2.4 GHz with a 1watt transmitter (oh my) and my video transmitter is 5.8ghz at 500mw. So about 3 miles of range for video if I remember correctly with the antennas I have.
    The vtx is hooked up to a CCTV camera for low latency and fast refresh. There is a separate gopro style camera for filming. CCTV is fed directly into goggles.

If you want to get into it,I suggest buying a cheaper dji or buy something with a beginner friendly flight controller and a "home" feature :) it is super fun either way!

Ohh and I forgot. There is a site called hobbyking that sells things fairly cheap. Motors, esc , transmitters and especially the turnigy batteries. They also sell fully set up quads.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  12. Jim Travers

Jim Travers Member

look!! Here's the deal!!!

If I see one them things dingin' round up there 'bove me, I WILL attack it!! Holdin no pisoners round here!!! What ever means necessary to remove that air mobile whizzer type deal from above ME!!!!

sportsman and Krusty like this.
  13. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Great idea, except for the fact that people routinely get arrested and prosecuted for destroying somebody else's property in such cases...especially when the owner has yer mug on high resolution video. :)

Matt Paluch likes this.
  14. Matt Paluch

Home Page:
    The cost of your "attack" starts around $300 and goes up substantially from there. Probably better to just ask the operator not to fly above you when you're fishing.

15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

That’s cheap !

sportsman likes this.