Dry Falls Get Together 2009?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bill Dodd, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Damn, so close to the Hoh Down, I am very vacation light right now and the summer construction season is underway. This one does not sound likely for me. They are fun though. If anyone missed the Hoh Down. Make up for it by going to Dry Falls, words of advise Night Fishing! :thumb:

2. Ephrata Fly Guy

Ephrata Fly Guy New Member

Sun Lakes park is on the short list of parks that may be closed, if'n that happens, access into Dry Falls is pretty much done...i hope we get to fish there a little bit before our fearless leaders make a decision on this park.

3. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

wha what??

really? are you speaking of the state park or are the privately owned ones like laurents going to close as well??

i love laurents ive been camping there for years it would suck to see them shut down. i have had many good times there. but im curious as to why it would effect access to dry falls?

4. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

Ok, ill see if i can get over. I Love that lake!!!

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

The last few years at Dry Falls they kicked them off the lake at dark or shortly after it. In other words, closed at dark.

Jim

6. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

also lame.

7. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Hm. I like me some night fishing lakes... nail down a date when the damsels are rockin'- you guys have it right - april/may. So? When?

8. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

i say first weekend in may.

but thats just me. ill already be on the east side for the state opener. so coming back over in may would be sweet. thats a good time of year for the damsel munchers and the night fishing really comes alive.

plus it could be warm enough for some carpin.

9. Ephrata Fly Guy

yeah, the state park is on the mothball list this year...there have been a few articles in the Columiba Basin Herald about it, but I cant figure it out, they list the parks with a potential for closing in order of visitation, of which Sun Lakes was number 4 on the list with something like 660,000 visitors a year but somehow it made the short list of potential closures. sucks.

10. Ephrata Fly Guy

but to answer your question, I believe laurents is a private lease on DNR land, similar to the coulee lodge resort and the soap lake rod and gun club. As far as I know yet, those privately run campgrounds are safe...for now.

11. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Sean I'd love to do some carpin' too. I've only caught carp incidentally in creeks while targeting browns and bows with buggers - but I love catchin em. Freakin' freight trains is what they are. Would be fun to get my little 12' boat out on Banks or somewhere else nearby.

12. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

you dont need a boat. ive seen em everywhere around there i just never tried to catch em. shit even found hordes of them on rocky ford. they are even in those cess pools along the highway.

ive turned over a new leaf and ive decided to let the lowly carp into my life. ugly as he or she may be.... if they will eat a fly and pull drag.

i am down.

plus i need something to do all summer besides skateboard. its time to let it go. never got hurt with a fly rod in my hand.

yet.

13. flyerman

flyerman New Member

Boy if they shut down Sun Lakes SP, I wonder if you will be able to get to Dry Falls???? I am heading there the 15th to 18th. Hard to believe they can't at least break even on some of these parks. I bet a private company could move in there and make a buck or two, shut it down from October till April. Same with the state park at Ocean Shores (on the list). It is full all summer. What are they thinking?

By the way, if anyone wants to ride over there and stay those four days, I am driving solo and meeting two friends there. We are low key... I usually stay on the lake all day..

Greg

14. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

Sun Lakes State Park officially opened last Friday, the projected closure would go into effect this fall or next year. If they do fail the litmus test and face closure by the state, access to Sun Lakes camping, golf course, and Park lake should be assured because of the private lease holder, Sun Lakes Resort. However the state campground, and access to the 5 lakes which are behind state gates, could be in jeopardy. Hopefully common sense may prevail in the end and State Parks will either exempt Sun Lakes-Dry Falls Park from closure, or the WDFW will have enough clout to keep these lakes accessible.

Final thought, if they decide to lower the boom, Sun Lakes Resort operator Jim Ping would probably do a much better job managing the whole operation than the current Parks Commission.

15. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

In the past Dry Falls was always before the general lake opener but after Dry Falls itself was open so that the camp ground was not so full, so that we would get fewer complaints about our late night drinking and general fun times. The early outing meant fewer lakes that we could fish but most just fished Dry Falls anyways since it was close with a few from the group heading else where for Carp off's and such.
    Trouble was last Dry Falls outing there was not many of us there so last year no one really set any thing up.