Dry Falls, No Indicator Love :(

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Irafly, Apr 2, 2014.

1. PT

PT Physhicist

On my tally sheet, that would be a 6 fish day. 8-10"ers aren't counted. :)

2. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Every fish counts. You should have seen the show Ira put on while landing and measuring a 7 incher! It was funny as hell:) and I do fell bad that the bobber fishing wasn't that great Ira,it looked catching all those fish trolling sucked:)

constructeur and Irafly like this.
  3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

This thread reminds me of what one of my fishing buddies once said. He was a bit competitive when it came to anything... he was an x-bicycle racer. He too was very good with using an indicator. However, I believe in using whatever is working and I will start with a sinking line but will resort to bobber fishing if I must to catch fish -- even 8-10 inchers (which at this stage of my fishing life are fine with me!)

Anyway, we were fishing a private lake and I had the hot hand. I was using one of my experimental patterns and I couldn't keep the trout off the thing. He wasn't doing nearly as well. After I caught one particularly large trout (over 10-inches) he told me I should try a different pattern to see if that would work.

I had to laugh at him over that one. I asked him why in the hell would I switch patterns when the one I was using was working as well as any pattern could work.

Switch patterns when the one you're using is working???? Obviously he wanted me to stop catching trout at the rate I was catching them.

I'm in this game to catch fish with fly gear. I will use a pattern or technique that works. I prefer some techniques over others but I'm certainly not married to any of them.

I'll start with some manner of sinking line and troll around until I find the best spots. If a midge hatch comes off, I'll switch to a dry line and an indicator. I adapt to the situation to catch fish. I kind'a thought that was the point.

I know that there are steelhead fly anglers who are dead-set in how they present the fly and never use any other technique. I didn't know there were hardcore presentation -dedicated stillwater fly anglers out there ... but evidently, there are :D

BTW: if your technique and pattern are working... try using something else :):)

Irafly and Bob Rankin like this.
  4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

If I have to resort to full sinks or intermediates to catch fish I will. I'm also not married to a technique, but I do love watching an indicator. Normally that pays off in more fish than anyone else fishing (competitive? Maybe a little :)) but I just couldn't really stop catching fish in order to try a less effective method for any period of time. For me as well GAT I'm out there to catch fish, everything else is secondary (well sometimes drinking beer comes in a close second).

GAT and triploidjunkie like this.
  5. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

As I said, that 7" fish did gain me some respect in the right circle, 6" would be better, but I doubt I will ever beat my 2 1/2" bow caught on the lake in May on a chironomid years ago. I still proudly look at that picture.

At one point I Quintupled up. It started with an almost simultaneous double hook up and with enough leg throw over one rod to keep it from flying out of the boat I landed the fish on the other rod, quickly cast back out and started bringing in the other fish. Seconds after starting to land the second fish I again needed to throw my leg over the rod I had just cast back out. Rinse and repeat, until I had landed 5 in a row. There was one guy close to me at the time and I'm fairly sure he was laughing at me in a not so kind way.

In hind sight I should have wind drifted with the indicator rod while also working the full sink or intermediate. I think I could have played around more with my depth on the indicator rod out in the deeper water. While trolling, I always struggle to really understand the depth zone I'm fishing in.

A day to remember for sure.

Bob Rankin likes this.
  6. gmole

gmole Member

how was the water level..especially at the launch?

Ron McNeal likes this.
  7. jwg

jwg Active Member

not trying to be a wise ass here.

Assuming I had caught enough fish already, I would switch patterns to see if the success were due to the pattern or due to the presentation-line type, depth, etc.

Or to test another experimental fly pattern, knowing I had the other variables dialed in.

j

Old406Kid likes this.
  8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Two different lines, two different patterns, other folks who started doing the same with other bugs, told me enough to know that pattern didn't matter. I unlocked the box early on was all and it did not follow my game plan for the day in the slightest.

9. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I was able to launch my Pram with minimal difficulty.

10. aimacart

aimacart Member

While fishing at DF, my son lost his fly and I tried to talk to him about putting on the same fly I was using that was catching fish. He declined and picked out a different fly, one I tied that was just one I invented while sitting at the vice. His thought process was we should try a different fly because it might be the next great fly. He is 15 almost 16 and very smart. His fly out caught mine.

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

If I was fishing alone, I may have tried that. But as my fishing buddy was already trying different patterns and techniques and wasn't doing all that well, I saw no reason to try something else. He was covering other variables.

Irafly likes this.
  12. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

I was able to put in my pig of a pram (koffler). It floated in 3-4" water.

13. tyeoneon

tyeoneon Active Member

Did anyone camp at the state park?? Their web site says that they aren't taking reservations until the 15th. Heading that way tomorrow for a few days.

14. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Unless something really unusual occurs, you won't have any problem at all in finding sites at the State Park at that time. At least that's been my experience.

tyeoneon likes this.
  15. aimacart

aimacart Member

My son and I stayed at the state park, the reason they are not taking reservations is you don't need them. There was only 4 or 5 sites taken and the other 100 or so sites empty. They started a viable rate for all the sites, the most popular spots is the most expensive and the others cheaper depending on how much use it gets. Stop and check the map of the site and get one of the cheaper ones.