Dry Falls outing, clave, whatever

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Whitey, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Which one???

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Hey, I got some pants that are black with red peppers all over them. Can I wear them or will they show up your red ones.:p

Don't you think this should be started on a new thread. If someone was to start at the beginning he would not get it read until friday. And besides I'm now starting to read everythingtwice. You can tell by my last sentence that I have been up way tooo loooooong and needsome sleep.

Jim

2. lotech joe

lotech joe New Member

I started this string about 2 months ago. I was wondering at the time if anyone had a report on Dry Falls, because I was heading there on the 19th of April. MAN, did it ever grow into something great. I am so looking forward to this trip! There are a lot of names/faces to put together for me, I can't begin to realize. I understand that there will be patches available. If the person who has the patches is going to be there, I WANT ONE. I'm bringing BHPTN's, Wooly Buggers, size 22 & 24 midges, and everything else I can think of that doesn't work. If everyone shows up, who says they will show up, the Park Department will probably start the $5 parking fee earlier next year. So we should think of another place for next Spring. But for this year, I'm looking forward to a saturated lake with friends from both sides of the state. Let's make it an annual affair. Maybe next year we can do the second week in June, on the Kettle River, north of Repubulic. What say?
    Lotech Joe:rolleyes

3. lotech joe

lotech joe New Member

I started this string about 2 months ago. I was wondering at the time if anyone had a report on Dry Falls, because I was heading there on the 19th of April. MAN, did it ever grow into something great. I am so looking forward to this trip! There are a lot of names/faces to put together for me, I can't begin to realize. I understand that there will be patches available. If the person who has the patches is going to be there, I WANT ONE. I'm bringing BHPTN's, Wooly Buggers, size 22 & 24 midges, and everything else I can think of that doesn't work. If everyone shows up, who says they will show up, the Park Department will probably start the $5 parking fee earlier next year. So we should think of another place for next Spring. But for this year, I'm looking forward to a saturated lake with friends from both sides of the state. Let's make it an annual affair. Maybe next year we can do the second week in June, on the Kettle River, north of Repubulic. What say?
    Lotech Joe:rolleyes

4. Sparse Grey Hackle

Sparse Grey Hackle Active Member

Lotech Joe:

I'd say you'd have some major moaning and groaning from the westsiders (or "coasties") if you made them drive that long for a sweet place like the Kettle. You've got to remember, most of these guys ruff-tuff it at the Lake Sammamish State Park.:p

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

5. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Home Page:
    Sparse,

Whitey talked me into it, greyghost and I were planning on camping at another spot out that way on Saturday, but heck, we might as well swing by and have a coupla beers and tie some flies (I've got most of my materials with me). Have to be back at work on Sunday, so if nothing else, let's party!

worldanglr
    http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
    -Paul Schullery

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

LTJoe,

Why wait for next year when this year is already here. The Kettle intriques me, and I'd like to fish it. I was thinking of hitting it during grouse season, because I hunt the Wauconda area and that's pretty close already.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

7. lotech joe

lotech joe New Member

Roper,
    That's an idea. I'll have to rethink my summer's fishing budget though. We'll have to talk about it at Dry Falls. I'll only be there on Saturday. White Ford P/U with a short narrow box. Are you camping at Sun Lakes St Park? Or up in Coulee City?
    Lotech Joe:hmmm

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Sun Lakes with the Oens gang...

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I've lived over here on the wetside since 1944. And from what I gathered in all of my outings I have never fished or camped at Lake Sammmmammmmish S/P. I don't even like the place:p It's too crowded and also too big and to think of it all this weekend will be crowded but fun. If you see an old fat man wondering about with a Philadelphia Eagles hat on it's me.

Jim

10. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

You guys have got me intrigued and so I'm leaning towards coming up on Friday but will at least come up on Saturday. I've got a bunch of rot gut liquor that I'll bring. Got some left over beer (left over cuz I don't drink that particular brand) and some half empty bottles of the hard stuff (Myers rum, Beefeaters gin, Smirnoff vodka, some Yukon Jack perma-frost schnapps & peach schnapps). That ought to get you guys singing!!

:beer2

I'll also bring an extra tube & an extra pair of fins in case someone doesn't have a floating devise. On your own for a pfd.

Never been up in that neck of the woods (sagebrush) so it will be fun exploring so new territory. Sun Lakes State Park, 6 weight rod, floating and sinking lines, nymphs and dries, waders (rain jacket), drinking water, food, firewood(?), sunscreen (bug juice), WFF patch & I should be ready.

Greg

:thumb

11. AZTKflyguy

AZTKflyguy New Member

I got home from Dry Falls last night. Windy & Cold monday, nice & sunny tuesday, breezy with showers yesterday. Campground practically deserted except for the fly crowd ~8 rigs. 4 nice fish hit #12 bloodworm tuesday & only 1 munched a chironomid/bobber yesterday.

Good Luck if you go & tight lines to all.:thumb

12. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

holy crap, this thread is huge. I never thought this thing would get this big. well, I hope we all have some fun this weekend.

I'm going to bring some garbage bags so we can do a little dry falls parking lot clean-up, it's the least we can do.

blood worms? I just tied a few. Lake turn-over must be close. which means it'll be real good, or real slow. depends on flies and tactics. also, Chironomid emergers, I suspect that if you can figure out how to fish 'em properly, you'll do well. :professor YT:beer2

13. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

Hey YT, I've got some WaDOT trash bags left over from the YRFF Yakima clean up that I'll bring.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman Maclean

14. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

greg, that would be sweet. thanks! YT:thumb

Will this thread get to 100 posts? We could set a record...............:dunno :hmmm

15. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

Since I've never been to Dry Falls, looking at the gazetteer Sun Lake State Park looks to be near Park Lake with Dry Falls lake further up 17. True? Is there a better area/ parking lot to pull into at Dry Falls?

Also, anyone knwo the name of the golf course that is shown on the map?

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman Maclean