Dry Falls

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Al, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Al

Al New Member

Spent Saturday on Dry Falls Lake in an ambitious effort to really get into some fish. So did a bunch of others - at one time I counted 33 cars and I couldn't see them all from my advantage point. That little outhouse was hardly enough to accommodate everyone, some of whom had camped overnight - I thought it was closed at night!

There were damsels flying everywhere in the afternoon and they were thick on the cattails, but you could hardly catch a fish with an emerger out in the lake, might have been a fish mistake it you did. Adult damsel, maybe.

Most of what we caught were on either Callabaetis emergers or Parachutes-one was on the surface for 20 minutes before a nice Rainbow discovered it!

I have read somewhere that those that have a lot of experience at Dry Falls do well there and those that don't get 5 like me, or fewer. It is a beautiful site and I will go back, but it is one challenging lake.

2. Jim Jenkins

Jim Jenkins New Member

When I went by there on Friday night around 7 it looked like a bowl of Cheerio's down there! I have never seen so many people on the lake before. Sounds like Saturday was more of the same. Maybe the state will take notice that the fly/special regs lakes get alot of attention and should make more lakes like them!!! The few quality ones we have are way over fished. But I'm just as guilty as I often go to these before any other (baitNtake) lakes. And your usually around a better class of folks to fish with!
    Jim J.