Dry Falls

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Trout Master, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Except for the route we started on, great trip. TM, thanks for the company, Rick - thanks for the breakfasts, snacks and vino, Jose - good to be fishing with ya again.

Seemd like the fish were well spread around the lake. The water level is higher this year and you can use both launch areas. The shallow flats were full of fish and I spent the morning chasing dem dang things. They were sipping like crazy, small midges. I did manage a few on a size 14, black Hale Bop, and landed one, missed another on a size 20 midge pattern. Moved over to the "chum" line to join the people casting bloods into 8-10' of water. The fishing was disgustingly good. Chromies, size 12 black chronies and, like TM mentioned, bloods.

TM & I each managed a fish at RF on the way back. Mine was a punk but Jim brought in a decent fish.

A good day fishing with friends.

MB

2. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Thanks for the reports and pics between the two threads guys. I can't wait to get over to Dry Falls for the first time this year. If the group outing doesn't pan out, I need to make the trip anyway and do some camping. Sounds like you guys had a great time!

3. Jumbo

Jumbo Member

where can one camp at dry falls? at sun lakes state park or at the lake itself???

4. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Yes at the state park. Not a bad campground, clean restrooms and showers. I resemble your name Jumbo.

5. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

There are two campgrounds, one state (Sun Lake State Park) and one private (Sun Lakes Resort). The state park campground is very nice, but beware of the resident racoons. They are bold and voracious. Leave nothing edible in the pockets of your pontoons or float tubes. I have found paw prints on the roof of my vehicle from their exploration of my pontoon boat. And they will climb into an open door or hatch of a vehicle even if you, relaxing by an evening fire, are just a few feet away.

Steve

6. Scott Salzer

Plus, they will take small coolers into the sage, never to be seen again. And, they can open zippered bags on pontoon boats.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Nobody is forcing you to work the weekend. Your just greedy

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

In one of my trips to Dry Falls resulted in them damn racoons getting into a box of food left out and eating a loaf of bread and then getting into my snacks. I was sleeping in my car so I had no place to leave anything,except on a picnic table. So long food.

9. Scott Salzer

I remember that night you fed them all. At least they don't like bourbon.

10. Timsan

Timsan Member

Those damn raccoons are not afraid of anything.

11. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Raccoons? My only cougar encounter (the only one that I am aware of) was at the state park at Dry Falls. My wife and I were startled from our sleep when this damn thing chased a deer right past the tent. It took it down and killed it not far from the perimeter of the camp ground. We went back to sleep shortly thereafter. However, later on that night my wife was startled from her sleep by the sound of something being dragged past our tent. It kind of freaked her out. Oh well…The fishing was good so I didn’t mind.

12. robl

robl Member

My wife would have never gone outside again!