Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

DSLR to big screen...

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  GelJockey 
#1 ·
Is there a way to display photos from a DSLR or point and shoot to my big screen TV? I'm not exactly sure where the manual for the TV is...and I'm not the most tech savvy guy around.

Thx, Roper

#8 ·
Actually I doubt it because most of them don't even use TVs any more. If it ain't on their phone...

Playing it directly back from the camera is an option, assuming you have compatible ports on both devices. USB stick is another way, assuming the TV is smart enough to start displaying it, or has a menu option for it and/or some control over it. (Like a slideshow option, or the ability to use the remote to move from one picture to the next, etc.

Another option would be a laptop (or desktop, but ugh) that has an HDMI out on it. Your TV becomes an external screen of your laptap. This is essentially the same thing as the camera options--it's just displaying what would normally be displayed on your screen. But if you want to sort or edit or otherwise arrange the photos first, then the laptop is nice. And if just plugging in an HDMI cable would do it, then sweet. (Alternately, all the editing and arranging can be done prior to copying it to USB stick. Again, assuming the TV will give you some help when you stick the USB drive into it.)

#9 ·
It turns out the USB port does nothing when I tried it. The HDMI port seems to be the ticket but I need the optional cable according to the camera manual...I'll see what I can do there...

Thanks for all the suggestions and information.

#10 ·
It turns out the USB port does nothing when I tried it. The HDMI port seems to be the ticket but I need the optional cable according to the camera manual...I'll see what I can do there...
Roper, you're not going to like hearing this, but it is important: like USB, there are different sizes of HDMI cables--specifically, the connectors (ends) can be different sizes. Scroll down to the "connectors" section here.

Your TV probably has the standard "type A" size. It might have a mini or micro connector as well, but I wouldn't count on it. Your camera on the other hand probably uses a type C (mini) or type D (micro) connector. So you're going to need a cable that is the TV's size on one end and the camera's size on the other end.

If you buy the brand/model of cable specifically recommended by your camera manufacturer, that would probably work. You could also buy a 3rd party cable (for probably a lot less), but you'll need to make sure that the cable you're buying has the appropriate connector size on each end.

If you post (or PM) your camera model, I could do some digging for you.

#12 ·
I just stick the memory card in my Tv or Wii(think the Xbox has one too, not sure). How old is your Tv? Anything within the last four or five(maybe more) years should have a little slot to stick the memory card of your camera straight in. I've done many a slideshow on the big screen this way for the Inlaws post vacation.

#14 ·
Did your camera come with a USB to jacks plug, or does it have a jacks cord? It would be 2-3 rca jacks on one end plugs into your camera with either a USB or jack and the other end of 2-3 rca jacks (red, white, yellow - not sure what colors for two jacks) jacks would plug into your tv. Like hooking up an old school VCR or DVD player.

#15 ·
My DSLR came with the 3 RCA jacks for plugging into a TV. I only tried it once but it worked fine.

Now... if you really want to go crazy with your digital photos... buy a program like Photoshop Premiere Elements that allows to you build and burn DVDs that will play on your TV. This works great for creating slide shows of your images. You can add sound as you'd like.

I'm scanning most all of my 35mm slides so I can save the digital images on DVDs and watch the clips on our TV instead of dragging out the old slide projector and screen. Of course once I went digital, I save all my images on DVDs anyway but the Photoshop program allows me to put them some manner of order and add music.

It works slick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.