Dutch Oven Recipes

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Randy Diefert, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

When I do Cobbler in my dutch oven I take fresh berries or canned fruit( drain as stated before), add white or yellow cake mix and 1 can cream soda. 15 br. on top 10 on the bottom, when ya smell it it's done. comes out great!

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Thanks for the link Jerry, it just went in my favorites! I was working on a pipeline job about 10 years ago in november, cold and miserable, one of the inspectors had a couple of d ovens and a coleman stove, he was one popular son of a bitch with the hands, with the spread boss not so much!

3. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Nice Jerry!
    Thanks for sharing that. I can't wait to try the Beef Tenderloin with wild stuffed mushrooms!
    I can see me putting the weight back on now with all of those great desserts and toppings listed there!

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Those are great links. I'm glad everyone likes them. I have a couple more, but can't seem to figure where I bookmarked them. Hmmmmmm.

5. Loteck Joe

Loteck Joe Over The Hill Gang Member

Let's try this one;
    Dutch Oven Cornish Game Hens
    From the campsite of Lotech Joe

Ingredients:
    2 large yellow onions
    4 medium potatoes
    1 package baby carrots
    1 small head of cabbage
    2 Cornish Game Hens
    1 or 2 cans of ginger ale

Directions
    1. Slice a coin out of the center of each onion and place them in the bottom
    of a 12 inch dutch.
    2. Place the hens, backside down, on the onion coins. This will help keep
    them from sticking to the bottom of the dutch.
    3. Peel and cut the potatoes into 4ths and add to the dutch.
    4. Add the baby carrots to the dutch.
    5. Chunk cut the remainder of the onions and add them to the dutch.
    6. Cut the cabbage in 8ths and add to the dutch
    7. Pour in 1-2 cans of ginger ale. This will create the steam needed for cooking.
    8. Salt & Pepper to tastes.

Cooking Time
    Place the dutch, (lid on) over 12-14 hot BBQ briquettes.
    Place enough briquettes around the outside edge of the lid to go all the way around with 3-4 more closer to the center of the lid.
    Sit around the campfire, sharing fishing lies, and forget about dinner for 1 hour.
    Feeds 2 hungry liars, (er fishermen) with enough left over for 1 or 2 campsite drop-ins.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    I got a chance to work with one of the masters a couple weeks back, and will be working with him again tomorrow through Sunday. But learned alot from Cee Dub from the Dutch Oven cooking show. His books are pretty good too if you want a source of recipes (and some good stories). Funny seeing Chris Johnson's post. Sounds like verbatim what Cee Dub would say. LOL. If it smells done, it's done, if it smells burnt, it's burnt. And the dump cake Chris mentioned is alot like Cee Dubs (but it's a standard dump cake like most peoples). I was practicing with Camp Chef's new domes. They work pretty well actually. Great for those "no fire" areas. But did a dump cake to experiment more with them. Was having a problem with my domes, and thankfully had my Camp Chef rep show up and help me (and Cee Dub) out using the domes (I got to see Cee Dub learn a new trick, was pretty cool).

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Used to be a Boy Scout Leader years ago. I found that the blackberry cobbler recipe above works really well but try Fischer Scone Mix instead of the cake mix. Mix and drop balls of it into the berries. It works great! Don't forget to line the Dutch Oven with foil as suggested, though. I nearly ruin one once. Scraped for hours and learned my lesson.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Steve, I learned quite a few things while I was working with Cee Dub. He NEVER lines his pans. He is big on heat control with briquets. He uses a little water and a pan scraper and has his DO's cleaned out in minutes (and we did a TON of dump cakes and cobblers). We used brand new DO's too, including aluminum ones. Pretty amazing (he even had a question about the aluminum liners for the DO's). But was pretty cool to watch him work. Especially some of the dump cakes using heavily sugared pie fillings. Came right out of the DO with very minimal stuck in the pan stuff.

9. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Stewart, that's Cee Dub. He's the guy I've been working with at the demos. He had a TV show, can be seen on some networks occasionally. I have all his books.

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    OMG. I found the link I had been looking for. Knew I had done some reorganizing, but knew I had another one. I accidentally dropped it into my reorder links for my flytying supplies. I rarely use those links, mostly use the phone and a catalog. LOL. But was transfering bookmarks to my laptop and guess what I found? My missing link. So here's another good site guys for some outdoor cooking recipes.

http://www.outdoorcook.com/

12. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Thanks Jerry

13. clausbelly

clausbelly New Member

Pot roast is great for dutch ovens, too. You can start it on the stovetop and then toss it in the oven for long periods. I just bought myself a Le Creuset French/Dutch oven and christened it with a chili that came out great.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Clausbelly, should clarify. We're talking about "camp ovens", not a flat bottomed style dutch oven you use in the house. They are universal on the recipes. Anything you can cook indoors you can do outdoors in the camp ovens too.

15. PacificCreek

PacificCreek New Member

We have two favorites.

BBQ Chicken.
    Line oven with tinfoil. Place appropriate amount of chicken in dutch oven. We use chicken breasts but back in our college days we used cheap cuts like drumsticks or thights. Cover with favorite type of BBQ Sauce. Add a can of coke. Cook with 18 Briquettes until chicken is tender.

Dutch Oven Potatoes
    Slice bacon into inch long peices. Cook in bottom of dutch oven until crispy. Add a sliced onion and cook until onions are almost tender. Add potatoes. We usually add enough to get within 3 inches of the oven lid. Cook for about 45 minutes until potatoes are almost tender. At this point add 1 cup cream of chicken soup, 1 cup Sour cream, 1 cup grated cheese (Mushrooms if you are manly enough) and salt and pepper to taste. This stuff is heavan on a plate!