Dyes Inlet Coho and SRC

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Jan 23, 2011.

1. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

Thanks again for the recipe Larry.

I got out today and hit some of the more commonly known spots.

Here's the rundown:

Olalla (11:00 am)- beginning of outgoing tide. Strong current, lesser out past the point. One SRC hooked on my way back to the car in the fast moving water near the mouth of the estuary.

Purdy (1:30 pm)- REALLY fast outbound current. No fish hooked or sighted.

Kopachuck(2:30 pm)- much slower current. One follow, but no other fish hooked or sighted.

The Narrows (3:30-dusk)- Almost low tide. Moderate current. Saw several fish jumping/rising/splashing. Two hooked, one landed. Small rezzie about 11-12". Saw a guy with a pink buzz bomb get a larger one which he released.

Gig Harbor Fly Shop (5:25 pm) -Almost closing time which gave me the opportunity to rap with the G-man for a minute. He said go for flesh/shrimp pink patterns. I also bought my ticket for the Fly Fishing Film Festival presentation they have planned for the 24th. Finally, I'm thinking about signing up for his nighttime blackmouth fly tying class. I used to night fish all the time in Texas with great success; I think I'm ready to try it up here. Visit the Gig Harbor Fly Shop website for more info.

Have the day off tomorrow, so I'm headed out again. I'll report back with my findings.

2. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Larry nice photo
    did it get that bruse from when you kicked it up on the beach to snap your photo?

Nice demo photos too

See ya at the swap

3. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Nice looking fly Larry, I've tied and used a clouser pattern that uses similar colors with alot of success I think its called a clown.
    tony

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Here's the tie with the epoxy eyes. The hotpink thread seems to shine thru in orange.

Powdergut, I use a dry line most of the time. Probably because of being too lazy to change.

MysteriousWater, thanks for the reports.

Kelvin, see you at the Midge Swap. We'll have to kick some fish on the beach sometime soon!

Mark, see you on the beach today!

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Larry,
    Nice report and good to see you are out hitting the beach.

6. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

That will definitely be one of my unweighted patterns. I'm thinking it may deserve a version in yellow and orange too. An Orange Creamsicle.
    That is a winner fly!

7. CameronT120

CameronT120 New Member

Thanks for sharing your fly recipe with us, Larry. I created a printable version of it for my fly binder and can post it here, if it's okay with you.

8. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

You're a lot more sporting than I am, using 4x in the salt.

Since on the rare occasion, I get smacked by a blackmouth or grown coho when targeting the cutts, I've gone to using 2x Rio Fluoroflex plus. None of those fish are leader shy, and the Fluoro Plus is 50% stronger than their standard fluorocarbon. I like the Plus as it's is nice and flexible, and an honest 12 pound test. I've even caught chum on it, but it makes me nervous around those teeth..

View attachment 38430

9. dryflylarry

I haven't normally run into big blackmouth or coho this time of year. I used to use 5x all the time if you can believe that. I landed a 6-7 lb. coho on that a few years ago on the 5x. Pretty crazy, and took me by surprise. Thanks for the tip on the fluorocarbon. I probably should go ahead and step up to higher test. Otherwise, one of these days I will cry loudly....

10. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Larry, now I know why you
    out-fish me.....its the 20 lb
    maxima I use as tippet.
    What the hell does that
    x thing mean??????

dAve

11. dryflylarry

Apparently you haven't watched enough "x" rated movies to know what it means Dave!

12. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Nice fly and a nice report. We are going to have to gift you a pack of narrow gauge Gamakatsu hooks to replace those stainless steel monstrosities though :clown:

13. dryflylarry

Tell me what those are Dimebrite. I may be an old fly guy, but one gets stuck in his ways.... What Gamakatsu #?? Thanks.

14. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Using 4x? Saltwater tippet is measured in pounds, not diameter! No wonder the fish popped off . . .

Nice story; thanks for sharing.

15. dryflylarry

That's funny, it says "4x" on my tippet spool...... (that's the same as 6.4 lb test) I know guys use stronger tippet material than me, but I'm fishing for local cutthroats. When the coho are around I step up a bit. I think cutthroat are smarter than people think, particularly in "clear" water in the salt.