Earliest Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bob Young, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    The earliest that I have caught Pink Salmon from our Marine Area 9 beaches was the first week of July. And the catch rate improves every single week of the run, well through August. I have caught Pinks out here as late as September. Interestingly, most of the salmon that I or my guests have caught are caught on "trout flies", one of the most productive being a cheap hardware store Muddler Minnow, in size #6. Catching, and releasing, Pink or Coho Salmon is a very fun aspect to a sea run Coastal Cutthroat trout fly fishing outing. On a 6 weight, using 3X, you are covered. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

camera 1 first try 541.JPG

2. JayB

JayB Active Member

-It'll be interesting to observe the dynamics of the Nisqually pink run. When I've fished in the south Sound, it's mostly been with everyone else at Dash point, but it may be worth venturing a bit south to intercept the fish heading to the Nisqually.

3. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Up north I believe they are opening the Snohomish - below Hwy 9 Aug. 1. That's 15 days earlier than past years. Don't know if there will be fish there but at least you can go out

4. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

2011 Creel Surveys

You can check the creel surveys to see when fish started showing up two years ago.

5. PT

PT Physhicist

Saw a few jumpers off Edmonds today. Looked like 2 different pods of pinks cruising thru.

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  6. John Weston

John Weston Member

? for ya all. I always smoke my pinks an eat em fresh but I have never froze them. how long will they kept that way? thanks for any info.

Outlaw

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    There's an early push that goes up the Sultan river. I saw jumpers in the lower Sky around this time in 2011.

8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

The even year Sky run is a month earlier than the odd year run.

9. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

The Edmonds jumpers may have been sockeye headed for Lake Washington; the next couple weeks are peak time for them.

Cycle after cycle here on the inside of Puget Sound (MA 9 on in) other than the early fish returning to the Nooksack and Hood Canal hatchery you typically can count on "fishable" numbers of pinks about the first of August plus or minus a few days though never surprised to see one pop up after the 4th of July. In other words you have less than a month to tie up your supply of pink flies.

Curt

10. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I think Smalma is right, I have heard reports that schools of sockeye are swimming past the Edmonds pier. I also heard a rumor that someone was fly fishing off the pier for them!

11. PT

PT Physhicist

They looked more like a small king than a steelhead.... i.e. pinks rather than sockeye but sockeye certainly makes the most sense. One was close enough to get a good look at as it almost landed in my dogs teeth.

Jr's perch.

jrperchedonbow.JPG

12. Birdsnest

Birdsnest Member

I read somewhere that there was (is?) a small population of resident pinks at Toliva shoal in the south sound.