East Fork of Lewis to lose Hatchery Fish

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by VancouverFisher, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    There is a big difference between without sin and without blame. CnR deserves no blame with regard to th OP. This is a super important point. This game is not one of who sin the least but rather what is done to correct problems. CnR is not a problem, at all. Attacking it does not work to fix the problem. It does divert attention from real issues and fracture potential alliances.

Go Sox,
    cds

Salmo_g and Chris DeLeone like this.
  2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I don't think anyone is attacking catch and release. Saying however that catch and release is not a problem is the same excuse every other resource user uses. It's not us gill netters it's the dams. It's not the dams it's ocean conditions , it's not ocean conditions it's the loggers. and on and on it goes and thus it becomes impossible to accomplish even the smallest good thing for wild fish.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  3. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Also i am not saying that the EFLs wild steelhead could not withstand a CNR fishery just saying we should for once in all of steelhead conservation history take a conservative approach.

fact is that the summers blow through the lower river because the habitat is nuked and spend all summer pooled up in the upper river where they should be left alone. So the summers provide very little opportunity for sport fishing anyway. and our rivers all close on March 15 so you get a couple months of winter fishing. it is my opinion that no fishing should occur for winter steelhead after late March anyway. Yes people should be leaving winter steelhead alone in April! Just like they should leave summer steelhead alone after November!

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    The difference is that logging, ocean conditions (and polutants) and gillnetting are actual problems depending on the basin. CnR is not a problem. It's shown over and over not to be a problem but we refuse to acknowledge it.

Due to the false belief that it is a problem, we have conservation minded group propose rule changes that do nothing to aid fish like boat fishing restrictions, lessening season lengths etc. They do fracture the fishing community against one another so we do not take on actual problems.

I wish that we could aid in fish recovery by using the sportfshing guidelines. It would be easier than find solutions to the actual issues.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

5. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

This is honestly why I find it so hard to join many organizations. It is always about taking sides amongst sporties. Reality is for the making.