East Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by GAT, Dec 15, 2012.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I don't understand Wickiup and have only fished it once or twice with nothing. I understand there are some large fish in there, especially Browns. I think you fish close to the dam if I remember?

Paulina is another. Stretching the memory I think I've heard it was too deep for fly fishing? I never hear anything about it even when I'm up there--always East. I think some of the La Pine crowd fishes it with downriggers.

Craine to me isn't worth it, other than to try it when I'm up there, especially as it's more indicator fishing now which I avoid. It used to be my favorite lake on the West Coast, had the hottest and biggest fish, and you could troll the channels and get them, but now our Crowley is much better with fish equally as hot. On a good day we'll get 15-20 each there and on a bad day 4-6. I cannot imagine getting more than two-three at Craine but the size potential at Craine is much larger too.

Klamath Lake has to be the most under rated lake on the West Coast. It isn't easy but if you hit it right the fish are super high quality and can be very large.

I'm with GAT--Diamond needs to be explored. That's a place I could actually take my non fly fishing wife for a couple of days. I'm not sure the best time to fish it.

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

LC I have never fished wickiup so this info is second hand!

Many only fish it the first 2 or 3 weeks it opens in the deschutes arm. after a couple 3 weeks the browns will move out of the arm because of all the speed trollers pulling 5 inch plugs with 20 ft. sleds and other motor boats. The lake is huge so I wouldn't want to try and find them when they are in the lake itself!

3. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I maybe trying klamath for the first time this spring so you might be getting a p.m. from me LC this spring if that's alright? do you know the williamson? I have always wanted to fish these two!!!

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

bakerite, if you fish the lake in late August and Sept, the place is normally void of the spin folk. And honestly, if you fish the lake during the middle of the week, there is hardly anyone around.

Virginia fishes a section of the shoals she calls Brown Trout Alley. For some reason, she is able to catch browns in that section and I can't. We both use slime lines and very long leaders and in August, either a midge emerger or a Callibaetis nymph pattern. Sometimes, all you need is a GRHE with a black bead head. A parachute style Adams is normally the only dry flies we use.

When gas was less expensive, a couple friends and I went to East in early October. The resort was closed and there was no one on the lake. Large kokanee were in the shallows spawning. We used small egg patterns and caught browns and bows like crazy.

Mark, that is most excellent news in regards to the chub and the big bows. I will most definitely try the lake this upcoming summer.

If I can figure out how to scan my article as a PDF file, I will offer it to anyone who wants a copy e-mailed to them.

5. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Klamath is fishable with semi-predictable results July-September IMO but July is usually the best due to the lower WT. The average depth is 6' I think so it gets too warm by late August usually and some cooler Wx systems in September can help.

The Williamson is very, very tough. Gin clear, big spooky fish, requiring perfect presentation. I've tried it once on my own and to me that's guide water. I would not fish it again without a great guide. There are some pay to fish waters that may be worth it. One gave a presentation to our club recently. They have a lake on the property too. Name escapes me--it's very well known though.

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I never turn down info ;-)~ p.m. sent!

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Well I'll be damned. All these years and I didn't know my scanner will scan as a PDF image. Guess you learn something new every day. If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of the article, send me your e-mail address via a personal message (conversation).

bakerite, you're my guinea pig. Let me know if it works.

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I was able to convert and successfully send the article as PDF files so if anyone else is interested, PM me your e-mail address.

9. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    GAT's article on East Lake is the most comprehensive I've ever seen on the lake and the photography is beautiful. If you fish East or plan to, it's highly recommended reading.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Nevermind... a made a post on a different thread and it showed up here. Obviously, there's something supernatural afoot... I hate it when that happens.

And thanks, LC...

11. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Yesterday we went out on a foothill lake that is planted by the resort which has their own hatchery. I decided to tie on the Teeny Nymph after this discussion and lo and behold I broke the skunk on it!
    [​IMG]

This was on Lake Amador, a 400 acre lake which, according to the resort, has received 29,000 pounds of Donaldson trout (very hard fighting, "reel burning" hybrids) this year. Two of us worked six hours to get four like this--all 17" -19" with very little fight and we did better than most anyone else including the hardware/bait anglers. Water temp was 58! We bonked three of them for the smoker and don't feel bad about it either;-) A little disappointing but winter fishing should include low expectations around here.

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Maybe no one catches much with a Teeny Nymph because we never use them!

13. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

I tried them and never caught a fish on them and fish them every which way you can

14. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

It's not the fly, Lue. You just have the worst case of bad luck I've ever seen :p

15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I don't know what was first, a Pheasant Tail or Teeny Nymph.

Maybe the Teeny Nymph just needs a gold bead head... beats me.