Trip Report Eastern Sierras day 2- Crowley lake grand slam

IMG_4339.JPG IMG_4343.JPG IMG_4299.JPG IMG_4337.JPG Went with Jerry from Sierra Drifters for a 1/2 day of chironomid fishing in gorgeous Crowley lake. Wow, the water was clear as could be - and the fishing was red hot.
22 trout total
14 rainbow all 14-16" and flawless
6 browns all 16"-18"
2 Lahontan cutties, both over 20"
Really really nice day. My 1st Lahontan cutties, and they were amazing

Bob Smith

Nice! I lived down in Independence for 3 years when I started my career with CA DFG and fished Crowley quite a bit. I didn't realize that Lahontan's were also present. Also, you left out Sacramento perch as the 4th fish in the slam :) ,

Nice! I lived down in Independence for 3 years when I started my career with CA DFG and fished Crowley quite a bit. I didn't realize that Lahontan's were also present. Also, you left out Sacramento perch as the 4th fish in the slam :) ,
SHOOT! I didnt know they counted toward the slam! Saw some perch fry in the lake, but nothing close to being big

1morecast

Nice report! I agree with Bob. I cut my teeth learning to FF in the eastern Sierras back in the late 70s early 80s. This time of year tubing Crowley throwing a hornberg streamer was the [email protected]%t!When did lahontans start showing up at Crowley?

Nice report! I agree with Bob. I cut my teeth learning to FF in the eastern Sierras back in the late 70s early 80s. This time of year tubing Crowley throwing a hornberg streamer was the [email protected]%t!When did lahontans start showing up at Crowley?
This was my 1st time fishing it. Not sure when the Lahontans showed up, but theyre the biggest fish in the lake apparently. Our guide Jerry said the largest trout hes personally seen out of Crowley was a 26.5" Lahontan.

Streamers that mimic the perch fry are apparently really good, but this time of year theyre getting big enough to develop that top spine and the trout quit keying in on them. I tied up some perch fry buggers and didnt use them once because the chironomids were hatching like mad and the trout wanted nothing else, not even a really good Calibaetis nymph pattern