Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Eastern Wa pheasants

4K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  Tug 
#1 ·
Went out with my GSP Maggie pheasant hunting for a few day. Monday was real windy
And it was hard hunting. We ended up with 2 birds. One bird I hit at 45 to 50 yards
It hit the ground running. Maggie locked that runner down after a hundred yard chase
In 30 mph winds. Tuesday was a beautiful day and cold. We must have hiked 10 miles
For 3 birds. I couldn't be happier with my dog, both of us are having a
Hard time walking because we are so sore! All in all nothing better than walking
Some beautiful country with my shotgun and my dog!
Wood Plant Twig Trunk Tree
People in nature Workwear Personal protective equipment Soil Fun
People in nature Workwear Personal protective equipment Soil Fun

See less See more
#32 ·
Maybe it's where I'm hunting, but I haven't noticed a strong decline in birds. Slightly worse than 2012, maybe, but the birds are there. I hunt mainly public land and written-permission-only CRP land. The last 2-3 years have been pretty consistent in terms of numbers. Poor, but manageable with dogs. I hunt with very pheasant wise old dog (12th season) and a brand new pup (1st season.) The combo seems to be a good one so far. I hunt them separately to keep them as fresh as possible usually, but it's pretty fun to have them work together. Two dogs can cover a lot of earth!

Here's my fav pic of the season so far. My (then) 11 month old making a great retrieve. I'll probably never be that quick with a camera again!

#37 ·
Still waiting for that first snow in my spots. It will indeed make for some very tight holding birds! I would def love to get out for some hunting with you gents on the board! Lemme know if you guys wanna figure something out!

#38 ·
Still waiting for that first snow in my spots. It will indeed make for some very tight holding birds! I would def love to get out for some hunting with you gents on the board! Lemme know if you guys wanna figure something out!
Blake im going to try and head your way before the end of december. If I do we should hook up. I went out yesterday with my dog and walked one field , hit one bird but saw lots. They were all bunched up in groups! Im going tuesday and wednessday Hopefully the girls and i will have Pheasant dinner on friday:)

#39 ·
Keep me posted and we will line something up! Ive wanted for a long time now to buy a .243 so I can put it in a harness on my back and whoop on a few of the many coyotes that rumble in my bird land! And also for my wife to put an extra whitetail in the freezer :)

Reactions: Tug
#40 ·
Keep me posted and we will line something up! Ive wanted for a long time now to buy a .243 so I can put it in a harness on my back and whoop on a few of the many coyotes that rumble in my bird land! And also for my wife to put an extra whitetail in the freezer :)
You bet! A 243 is an awesome rifle. I got one from a member on the forum and love love love it!

#42 ·
Blake, I would love to hunt with you next fall! Roper, Scott Salzer Andrew and I will be in the Okanogan in January chasing ducks and small upland birds. Hoping for some snow! Here is Montana this October.
Wheel Tire Plant Plant community Ecoregion

That was such a memorable day. Some hunters on the adjacent land were on the other side of a big ditch and my setter Jetta had 3 points in a row in the bottom of the ditch on roosters. Those guys wanted all the info on where to get a dog like her! (she retrieved all but one that one of the labs beat her to!) Rick

#46 ·
Great photos, All! I'm retiring next week . . . have hunted 1 TIME (in the early "old guy season") . . . 60-70-hour weeks have stymied my hunting, so . . . I said ENOUGH!

I'm open to hunt & fish anytime, now * Bob . . . let me know . . . we're overdue.
I'm waiting for snow Jim. I'll give you a call next week and hope to set something up. And congrats on retirement:)

#53 ·
Anyone get out over the weekend? I stopped and hit the ford on Friday and beat up some trout. Shot half a limit of chukar on Saturday. Missed more than a few!

#55 ·
I had an hour and a half to kill this morning, so I thought I would take Maggie and the old LC for a walk in a field. It was about 30deg and beautiful out. We walk about half way around the field when Maggie locked up. Out comes a rooster crossing right to left at 20 yards. That was a mistake because that's my best shot! We finished hunting that field and put up a few hens. I'm not greedy so we called it a day. One more for the freezer.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Window Gas

#56 ·
I hunted my usual areas in S.E. WA (near Central Ferry) on Friday & Saturday. It was my fifth hunting weekend this year. Not a good year for pheasant numbers down there: far fewer birds than 2012, but more than in 2011 which was the worst year I have ever experienced for low numbers of pheasants.

Some colder, windy weather and snow would help...what few birds there are, they're running. I'll probably drive over twice more anyway. My setter is five, in his prime, and at least I get to see him work.

#57 ·
I hunted my usual areas in S.E. WA (near Central Ferry) on Friday & Saturday. It was my fifth hunting weekend this year. Not a good year for pheasant numbers down there: far fewer birds than 2012, but more than in 2011 which was the worst year I have ever experienced for low numbers of pheasants.

Some colder, windy weather and snow would help...what few birds there are, they're running. I'll probably drive over twice more anyway. My setter is five, in his prime, and at least I get to see him work.
That is a fine breed of dog, and you right nothing like watching your dog work a field. My Maggie is 7 and really shining this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.